I added a current sensor (details later).
When I run APM terminal and invoke test] current I get good numbers reported for battery voltage, current and mAh keeps climbing.
When I switch to telemetry and HK GS, battery voltage is reported correctly, but battery current is zero and mAh does not change.
Furthermore, when I look at HK's serial diagnostics which interpret the MAVlink packets, the only one that I can see that includes battery information looks like this:
Note the missing Mode value. APM terminal reports battery mode is 4 (as it should be).
There is no current info or mAh info that I can find in the serial streams.
The current sensor that I added is NOT the standard one. It is a Pololu 0 to 30A sensor. I attached it to one the expansion ports on the IMU shield and made the followings changes in the code:
#define CURRENT_PIN_1 6 // in defines.h (AN6)
In APM_config.h I added:
#define CURR_AMP_PER_VOLT 7.52 // Pololu ACS715 is 0-30A 113mv per amp
#define CURR_AMPS_OFFSET 0.454 // Pololu ACS715 has nominal 500mv offset (measured 454mv)
While that installation is non-standard, I don't think that that is where the problem is because APM terminal is returning good readings.
I'm stuck and need to be pointed gently in the right direction.