Im back with a heli much more the size to accommodate the APM and all desired electronics. The 450 was fun but I left that to another fbl controller as I wanted more room to experiment. Here is some info and pics of the project so far.

AK_top.jpg

Putting a build together including parts from many manufactures and thought it would be helpful to document it out to get peoples advise/opinions. I have a tendency to mod everything I own and always end up with a bunch of unused/redundant stuff. So this time around I am starting from the ground up and piecing together my own "kit"  to build something that is "no compromise" (IMO of course). Seems manufactures have their little niches for superior engineered parts and I say why not have a little of all those great designs to make the best heli I can?  Plus I have some weird tendency to complicate every project that I do. :D

I have very few parts left to purchase but one of them is a Kosmik 160 :censored: not looking forward to that! I did think about going YGE but didnt want to add the weight of an external BEC  and have to use double the amount of space. Space will be much more important when I start implementing the AP system.  Other than that, some 7s batteries and belt once I get a better idea of CG/overall length once the raised tail is on and a couple other odds and ends.

I will be using a skookum 720 blue for initial testing and then hoping to switch completely over to APM 2.6 when I start putting the AP system together.

KontronikPlacement.jpg

Havent quite finalized the position of the two cross joints as I am still trying to find best fitment while still being able to route the wires and fit the batteries underneath. Will drill new holes to mount.

Other option is to just start implementing the gimbal setup now and start right off the bat with boom mounted batteries and then put the kosmik in the battery compartment with all the other electronics for the gimbal setup.

160 is overkill for the 4530-450 but didnt want twice as much space taken up with an external bec if I went with the YGE. I spoke with Kontronik and they have no plans to make a Kosmik 120 unfortunately. Would definitely be nice for people who need a smaller footprint and no need for the extra 40 amps.

The logo 700 (25x800mm) boom and kde boom supports for trex 700 going to a quick uk clamp also installed. Im going to get another set to run from the upper frame but cut them shorter and mount them halfway between the lower set, dont want any boom support strikes..

AK_4530-450.jpg
Will be running a 14S setup. Most likely 4400mah but that will be dictated once I get a better idea of CG with the raised tail, etc. Since I will be running a low head speed im hoping to get some decent flight times out of this. I will most likely get some revolectrix diamond series 7S's to keep my options open in case I ever start boom mounting the batteries for AP, they are 795g a piece :eek:

AK_HBL980_2.jpg

Sleeved the servos with some tight sleeve and used 2 sizes of adhesive lined heat shrink to slightly overlap eachother going over the stock grommet. This will keep it in place pretty well so I can keep the shrink on the shorter side. Also, it helps a ton to use a hot knife to cut the sleeve. It melts the ends together to prevent it from fraying. I use a butane solder iron with a hot knife tip and works great.

AK_HBL950_SwashMix_2.jpgTried multiple spacings with forward/reverse mounted balls and ended up with 5mm servo spacer and reverse mounted ball for best geometry and no binding issues. Horns are linked to swash with quick uk long ball joints (delrin) and lynx titanium 2.5x30mm rods between them. The spacers also help with vibration dampening between the metal frame support and servo casing.

AK_HBL950_SwashMix.jpgMocked up the geometry with the new aluminum servo horns. They are the same length as the synergy carbons - 20mm but wanted something with less hardware and  very little chance of stripping anywhere.
AK_HBL950_SwashMix_3.jpg
Also used another swash guide mount mounted upside down to the other one as a "channel" for the servo wiring. the two top holes will serve as mount points for video tx antenna/ sensor platform.

Hope you guys like the progress so far, the raised tail will be here soon which will be the perfect thing I need to counteract the gimbal system c/g. APM will hopefully be here shortly after!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Lef! I am making progress but on the other end of things. I am working on the GS and trying to figure out which UHF system to go with. However I did get my APM 2.6 in and the last few little pieces such as rudder control guides and custom belt, etc so it is definitely getting close!

Created a thread for the groundstation build here if your interested in checking it out:http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/project-aeolus-knight-gs-22-ips-l...

As far as the name, it is something I made up because thats what I tend to do with most of my projects for some reason. Im just weird like that :) It is a logo but has parts from too many manufactures to call it one!

• Man, what a gorgeous machine (and photograpy!).  Any progress?

I hadn't heard of the Aeolus Knight.  Looks kinda like a Logo?

This reply was deleted.

Activity