Quadrotor Aerodynamic

I'm looking for a source about Quadcopter Aerodynamic, I need to understand what's the recommended distance between propellers and why?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I had a browse around google and came across a lot of documents explaining flight theory in a lot of technical details but there is not much on frame design theory. 

More experience frame designers on the forum might be able to give more detail that what I'm about to give. 

As far a I know, the general rule is to ensure that the spaces between the tips of the props are supposed to be about half the left of the total prop length. So obviously, the larger the props, the larger the frame would need to be.

Does this help somewhat?

• Thank you for your interest

but i ask about the reason of being the Recommended distance between each propeller is half of one

Why?

• There are some contradictory theories out there. 

Some people say props needs to be some distance apart to prevent prop wash turbulence from the neighboring props to interfere with the thrust of the prop. Others say it does not really matter and as long as the tips don't hit each other it's fine.  

Some say that overlapping can help with additional thrust, like in the case of the Chinook Helicopter but I have never seen quadcopter / multirotor studies that supports or disproves this. 

One thing that will be better if you put some distance between props is that you will have upgrade options on the same frame. If at some stage you decide you want more lifting power, for instance when you want to start carrying a larger and heavier camera, you can upgrade the motors to a lower KV motor and use larger props without the need to replace the frame with a bigger one.  If you are flying with 10" props that have little space in between them and you wish to bump it up 1 size to 11" props, you might find that you might not be able to. 

• hmm i think Your vision is be logical, but i want to ask another question 

When i Use Big propeller with Lower KV motor?

and When i use Small propeller with High KV motor?

This reply was deleted.

Activity