RC Mode selection for APM

I am trying to work out which is the best budget radio set for ardupilot mega I have been looking at the specs and manuals for the futaba 6ex and spektrum dx6i but I am struggling to find confirmation how many positions the switches on these units are and if I can set up custom PWM on them.

I know that the APM manual states that for 6 mode selection you need either a 6 position switch or a 3 position and 2 position that can be mixed or for 3 mode selection you need a 3 position switch.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good radio set, 3 mode selection is probably good enough for my needs however 6 would be nice to have.  Would the futaba 6ex or spektrum dx6i be suitable or is there something more suited at the same price range.

I wasn't sure on the best forum to post this, here or the RC forum however I guessed someone in the APM forum may have specific knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mark

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Does anybody have succeed with a Futaba T7CP?
  • Ok I think I have worked this out on a DX7 with an AR7000 obviously other RC gear will be different but this may help as a pointer to those who are just starting out and are struggling to work out how to set up mode selection on switches.

On the DX7 I first entered system mode and selected a new model and made the input select page look like this...

[INPUT SELECT]
    >AUX2:3P SW
    AUX2 TRIM:INH
    FLAP:INH
    FLAP TRIM:ACT

Next I put the DX7 in function setup mode and made the travel adjust values for AUX2 +78% and -55%

Next I created the program 1 mix with the following values....

[PROG.MIX1]
    >GEAR> AUX2 ON
    RATE: - 33%
    0%
    SW:ON
    OFFSET: 0

I have no idea if this is the correct way to do things or not however it gives me the following values for the corresponding switch positions on the AUX 2 Channel...

3PSW [2] GEARSW [0] 1160
    3PSW [2] GEARSW [1] 1293
    3PSW [1] GEARSW [0] 1376
    3PSW [1] GEARSW [1] 1510
    3PSW [N] GEARSW [0] 1684
    3PSW [N] GEARSW [1] 1814

I believe these are all within the ranges required for each mode as specified in the APM code, I guess I could try and get them closer to the suggested values if I play around with it a bit more. Would be helpful if someone in the know could just confirm if this is the correct method or if I am doing something stupid.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • Well I spent 2 hours last night trying to program the dx7 to combine a 3 pos switch and 2 pos switch, for the 6 mode APM selection and got no where, does anyone have any tips?
    G
    I did find a config menu to assign switches but I could only assign to aux 2 problem is the receiver that came with the dx7 is a 6100 and only has an aux1.

Why do they have to make rc gear so counter intuitive?
  • @ Doug/ TCIII,

I have a Futaba T6XA with the same problem - I only have two position toggle switches. Would I be able to program a mix of two switches to get four modes on the APM?

Regards,
    Neel
  • Thanks TC,

I picked up a DX7 today, just need to work out how to program it now... Looking at the manual that maybe complicated!!

Mark
  • TCIII,

Do you know if it is possible to do this with the futaba 6ex or would I have to modify the code to read the mode selection from two input channel (6 and 7) on the APM for the two (2 position) switch on the 6ex radio?

Thanks.

Patrick
  • Admin
    Mark,

The DX6i has only two position switches. You will have to go up to the DX7 to get a three postion flap switch. However, you can program a combination of channel 5 and 6 switches on the DX6i to get three modes of operation.

Regards,
    TCIII
This reply was deleted.

Activity