Repair a Redpawz R020

Hi, everyone!

Not really a DIY thread (yet...), but I think here is enough knowledge to help me out with my project.

I've recently found this drone in the woods. I've brought it home. No battery charger, no controller, no rotor shields.
Before spending any amount of money in spare parts (at least a battery charger), I would like to know if it is worth to try to revive the thing.

I made several test yesterday:
- recharged the batteries with a lab power supply => the drone turned on
- connected via WiFi to the drone with my phone, and tested the camera using the HTS UFO app => can connect to the drone and see the images => the main processor works
- tried to control the drone with the app (I haven't yet understood if I actually can control this drone with the app...) => no motor movement
- tried to power the motors directly to see if they spin => all 4 motors spin when manually powered

So, why is it not working?
2 main hypotheses:
1) I actually can't control the drone via app
2) there's some problems in the "signal route" between the main processor and the motors

Regarding point (1), the question is quite easy: does anyone know if I can control this specific drone model via WiFi?

Point (2) is more complicated. But the short answer is: shure there are some problems!
I've disassembled the drone and noticed that there are 4 SMD components just before the motors output wires, and 3 of them are noticeably fused (see attached image). No wonder they won't spin... Fourth one looks ok, but maybe it is just less damaged.
The problem is that I can't understand what these components are. They are 3 pins SMD. From the not blown one I can read something like "XORR" or "XORB", with what looks like a "22" written vertically. I've found this on the web. I really don't know anything about drones (and motors in general) electronics, but I suppose these are transistors, used to drive the motors. Doubt I will find any datasheet for these exact model, though. If someone have hints on the specs for alternatives I'll be thankful!

My next test will be to measure (with an oscilloscope) what the processor sends to these components, to see if the signals changes (or at least something arrives) when playing with the app.

Many thanks for all the hints you'll give me!

IMG_20200510_154322.jpg

IMG_20200510_154105.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Activity