RFD900, RFD900+ - New long range radio modem

Hi All,

I would like to introduce you to a new radio modem that we developed for very long range datalinks!

http://rfdesign.com.au/RFD900.php

Some of the key features of the RFD900 are as follows:

• Multi point and point to point link capability.
  • Long range >40km depending on antennas and GCS setup.
  • 2 x RP-SMA RF connectors, diversity switched.
  • 1 Watt (+30dBm) transmit power.
  • Transmit low pass filter.
  • > 20dB Low noise amplifier.
  • RX SAW filter.
  • Passive front end band pass filter.
  • Open source firmware / tools, field upgradeable, easy to configure.
  • Small (30 x 57 x 13 mm), light weight (14.5g).
  • Compatible with 3DR / Hope-RF radio modules.
  • License free use in Australia, Canada, USA, NZ.

These modems are designed to support long range applications, while being easy to use and affordable.  

These modems have been flying in various platforms and have demonstrated excellent performance in real applications. 

RFD900 modems are now available at: http://store.rfdesign.com.au

Support within APM planner and the radio configurator from Michael Oborne is already available.

It works seamlessly with APM planner, all radio Mavlink parameters are available.

Update, December 2014:  The RFD900+ with improved specifications is available now at:

http://store.rfdesign.com.au/rfd-900p-modem/

Seppo Saario

rfdesign.com.au

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Seppo is usually ridiculously busy running his business. Sales and support of the RFD900 are only a tiny part of RFDesign, mostly he's doing complex hardware design work for other companies.

So he definitely responds to warranty issues and the like if you email him, but he almost never has the time to spend on forum interaction. It's rarely necessary to get a response directly from him, anyway; other users here are more than able to help with basic issues.

• yep, in my case the modem seen not connect with RFDTools, or 3DRRadio.exe, but I realiced that the USB port recognize the modem. So, I tried to update the firmware, as read in some part, and, miraculously, the RFDTools worked straight. After that the modem return to green light........the key was read that the solid Red light mean Firmware update status.....was my case

• i am not an expert but I had a similar problem, the solid red means Firmware Update state. I clicked the Update button and enter in this state. The solution was update the Firmware with the same Firmware version. Please, use that as reference, I am not an expert, as told you....luck  :)

• @juan : Thank you for your comments. 

As the comms between the modem and the USB interface look completely non responsive, that didn't work for obvious reason.

Placing another RFD900 modem on the same laptop / Usb interface works perfectly.

Henri

• Hi!

I just received my RFD 868+ radios, they look really nice! However I have some problems connecting to them with AT commands and I hope someone can give me a hint to what to do.

I am using Ubuntu 14.04LTS with cutecom. I connect the FTDI cable to the radio and then to the computer. I check that it is ttyUSB0. In cutecom I then connect to the radio with baud rate 57600, data bits 8, stop bits 1 and no parity.

So in order to enter AT mode I send +++ and wait for 1 second. However I dont get any reply from the modem, but when I send commands from my computer I see the red LED on the module flickering.

If I also connect a second RFD868+ to my computer the leds gets green on both the moduels. If I then send commands to the first one, say enter enter I see that the red light on both the radios are flickering.

Thank you for any help in how to connect and configure the modules!

Best regards,

Carl

• First, check that you aren't already in command mode - "AT<enter>" will do it. If you get "OK" then you're already in command mode (but that's probably unlikely.)

Next, check that communication is working properly - the simplest way to do this is to connect Tx and Rx on the remote module. That way, anything sent to the first module should be transmitted to the second module, through the loopback, back to the first module, then displayed in your serial console.

Finally, make sure you're doing the "+++" properly. There is *no* <enter> at the end! You need to wait a second without sending anything, press "+" three times, then wait another second. Typing "+++<enter>" will not work unless you're a *really* slow typist. :)

• Thank you very much for the rapid answer! My problem was the <enter>, I changed to "no line ending" in cutecom and now it works :)

• I have one that i am using with apm2.6 and i have a broblom conecting to mission planer latest version .
    Both units have a solid green light but every time its give me no hart pep and i dont know what to do.
  • Did anybody tried mash firmware ? There was some talk it will be supported with new release, Is it stable and reliable ?

Idea is to have one on ground station for monitoring and control and have other one hooked up to phone or GPS/arduino as "follow me" ( better say "follow it" )

• Hello all,

I am looking to use RFD900 on my medium fixed wing platform (15 kgs) which is tested in the field with successful short range missions. Now i want to use the long range modem to achieve a range of about 20 kms (LOS)...can u suggest whether the stock antennaes that come with RFD900 is sufficient enough or should i have a Yagi at the ground station with a Antennae Tracker??

Also some help regarding positioning of the antennae would be highly appreciated.

No support form RFD is surprising in spite of a great product.

Thanks in advance!!!

This reply was deleted.

Activity