There has been quite a lot of discussions recently about the RQ-11 and the Projet 003 Replica, some of you might have seen this blue print of the Thailand RQ-11 replica from RCgroups. I have also been wondering and trying to see where the big $$$$$$ comes in with the US army and thier UAVs.
Since we now have the 1/1 scale of the RQ-11 from Projet I want to take on the task of building and modifying a RQ-11 from the standard kit specificly for the APM and all its sensors to see with what budget we could get the same result as the Multi $$$$$$ RQ-11 with its Unique landing style ("sarcasm") and since the GCS like HK* and QGCS this should not be to hard at all.
The main purpose however of this discussion is to receive input on the modifications needed or wanted for a APM airframe.
Planned Modifications so far (keep in mind this is from a Projet Nitro standard kit Rq-11)
- Custom brackets for APM board and mountings for the Xbee,GPS,airsensor (Placing still up for disccusion).
- Acrillc replacable clear nose cone for a singlepivot P/T system.
- Customizable still camera mount at the bottum of the fuselage.
- Servo's moved into the rear side of the airframe so no Push/Pull system for rudder and elevator (makes for easy travelling because tail can be removed with ease).
- Custom 60" wing with ailerons made from foam reinforced with vinal or plastic covering.(Still up for discussion if ailerons is needed and different meterial is needed for the wing )
- Airduct over the ESC heatsinc or place to mount ESC outside Above the motor mount.
- Custom oil slick black paint job LOL(Any idea's).
- Evolving Camouflage for different missions (Little side project will share later when got it working )
This Design will be documented in CAD and maybe vacum moulded for reproduction otherwize I will share the completed files here .
Any Idea's and Thoughts are welcome.
Any progress with the design and execution ?
Yes, I meant RQ11.
I found in RCGroups the same blue print that you posted.
Magnifying it a little I saw what I was looking for: the airfoil is an S7012.
I plan on installing eagletree system osd and data recorder pro system, with dx201 camera, and 900mhz video link .
I have more than enough room.
I do wish this plane had a bigger wing, better lift better glide.
would prefer foam wing but the built up one is ok for me, I realy like the fiberglass body
I read some where some one will use two wing center sections to make wing wider, I bet that is enough.
I have built my nitroplanes RQ-11 stock and flowen it 6 times with no problems everything works fine.
flies very well, recovers from stall well, like a high wing trainer. elevator/rudder works fine no need for ailerons for me. was able to do basic rolls and loops no problem, inverted is a little twitchey but not what this plane is intended for.
I am running hitec 81 servos, eflite park 480 motor, apc 9x7.5e prop, castle thunderbird 54 esc, turnigy 2200 battery, arora 9 radio. needed to put battery in very front with a 1300 lipo for cg but this is without fpv gear. plenty of cooling for electronis never got warm
over all i like wish it slowed down a little better and had a better glide, needs a bit more wing. flew will in a good breez. added a tail skid to protect elevator linkage.
now I know how it flies so its time to install fpv gear, lots of room for that.
Interesting project. I think 1, 2, 3 and 4 are good ideas, although I would not put the still camera on the bottom of the fuselage! I'm not sure it needs ailerons (I kinda like the simplicity of the 3-channel design) and I think the stock air vents are okay for the ESC.
The one other mod I'm making on mine is to replace the screw attachments of the wing (too likely to break the wing in a crash) with the usual dowel-and-rubberband mounting, with some wooden guides on the bottom of the wing to ensure it stays seated properly on the fuselage.