Scaling problem with the GPS

I am flying a home made quad with the 2.0 board. I programmed a simple route with 2 way points and a return to launch in roughly an equilateral triangle. I am using 2.7.3 in the quad X configuration. I have attached the log file and the video (cheap camera we stuck on it) from the flight is on You Tube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyR6MLe0CWc&feature=plcp. The route actually has a 10 second loiter at the first way point although it is hard to see.

The track you see on the log matches the way points I programmed when looking at the google map. But the problem is that the actual flight watching it appears to be about twice the size triangle as you see on the log. It flew further away than shown for both way points (left and top point of triangle) and then returned to launch correctly.

I have done other flights with similar way points and it has exhibited the same behavior of having a much larger triangle. I know this because one time it crashed (prop broke) around the second waypoint (top of the screen on the log). When it did this, it was very near the creek on the top of the screen and not the track shown in the log file (which was a similar route). This is the first flight I had telemetry on board to record it and compare the track to the programmed route. I can not figure out why it is flying a larger route than programmed or shown in the log. I am hesitant to fly further away if it is going to go 50% to 75% further than I expect. Any thoughts on what is going on to cause this scaling issue? Thank you in advance

Eddie Hunnell

ehunnell@gmail.com

2012-09-30 17-09-39.rlog

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Stephen,

Thank you for the reply. I was unable to upload the log because it was too big. But if you read the original reply, I took perception into account. Remember that I had a prop break and it crashed. The location where it came down (which was about straight down) was at a point much further than the programmed route. It crashed at one of the points of the triangle but as if the programmed triangle route was twice as large. In the last attempt, I did go stand over near where the route was and watched it go much further. I am doing all this in a big field behind my house and I am sure that it went much further than it was supposed to go. But the ground track that shows up on the google map from the log file matches the programmed waypoints I entered. I am sure it is overshooting more than the radius of the waypoint which I think is about 25 meters. I just don't know why.

Thanks for your help. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

• Just a guess. What is your waypoint radius?  Also, how does the track match the mission plan?  (Need the tlog file to see that).  In my experience, when the craft is 30-meters away, you lose perspective and it may look closer to the trees than it really is.

• Reup hoping someone has some ideas.

Eddie

• Reup hoping someone has some insight.

Eddie Hunnell

ehunnell@gmail.com 

This reply was deleted.

Activity