I would like to minimize the processor time in arduino and googled some ppm encoder stuff. I found that the parallax propeller has multi core architecture with eight 32-bit risc cores. That device is commonly used as servo controller, but I would like to use it in opposite. Has anybody done something like that?

I was thinking about reading the channels and writing the pulse time to register, wich could be read with for example via I2C.

There are some old blog posts about this: http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/multichannel-rc-servo-signal

Examples about communication protocols for parallax propeller can be found on web.

Ps. Also the same controller could be used for driving the servos. If using 7 independent input channels/timers, the output can be done by the eight timer. So the input pulses can be with any freq or order and the output can run in another freq.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have a receiver object for the Prop that will read 8 RC channels in any order at 1us resolution and write the results to main RAM, and it runs in one core.  You could use two cores to read 16 channels, if you had a need for that many.  From there you'd just need to write the I2C communication to slave it to another processor, which wouldn't be terribly difficult.

There's also a Prop object that uses a single core to output up to 32 servos at 1us resolution at 50Hz.  I've modified it to output 8 outputs at about 250Hz - again, using a single core.  You don't need to use hardware timers if you write things like this in assembly, and there are enough cores to do this work and much more, in parallel, so you don't have to deal with interrupts.  It's very good at this kind of work.

Jason

This reply was deleted.

Activity

DIY Robocars via Twitter
Sunday
DIY Robocars via Twitter
May 14
DIY Robocars via Twitter
May 13
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @f1tenth: Say hi to our newest #F1TENTH creation for @ieee_ras_icra next week in Philly. It’s going to be huge! 😎 🔥 @AutowareFdn @PennEn…
May 13
DIY Robocars via Twitter
May 11
DIY Robocars via Twitter
May 8
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: Noticed my car zigzagged in last run. It turned out to be the grass stuck in the wheel and made the odometry less accura…
May 8
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: Test my car. RTK GPS worked great. Thanks @emlid for their support. https://t.co/EkQ6qmjmWR
May 8
DIY Drones via Twitter
RT @chr1sa: @kane That's @diydrones circa 2009. Still have a box of those Canon cameras that we used to strap into planes, just like this.…
May 3
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @chr1sa: Our next @diyrobocars race is going to be outside at a real RC racetrack in Fremont on May 28. Fully autonomous racing, head-to…
Apr 30
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @f1tenth: Our Spring 2022 F1TENTH course @PennEngineers is coming to an end with a head-to-head race as a big finale. So proud of our st…
Apr 26
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @DanielChiaJH: I wrote a thing! Throughout the development of my @diyrobocars car I've been using @foxglovedev Studio to visualize and d…
Apr 23
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: My new car for high speed. Low body, everything ( @NVIDIAEmbedded Jetson Xavier NX, @emlid RTK GPS, IMC) under the deck…
Apr 23
DIY Robocars via Twitter
Apr 21
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @f1tenth: F1TENTH Race training setup @PennEngineers for our upcoming ICRA2022 @ieee_ras_icra competition. @OpenRoboticsOrg @IndyAChalle…
Apr 21
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @fatcatFABLAB: Proud to be hosting a restarted DIY Robocars NYC Meetup April 26. Come by if you want to talk about and race self-driving…
Apr 17
More…