Share your drone info thread

Hi everyone,

I'm creating this thread to share your drone/copter information. I believe, this would help immensely for newbies like me during the initial build. For example, the Chris's blog on cheap Hobby King quad configuration is really a good resource.  

I don't want to burden anyone who is willing to share their info. Hence all fields are optional. Atleast the first 5 fields are ideal. Please find the list of fields to copy/paste at the end, so you can start filling :-). 

Here goes information about my quad.

frame: Quadcopter (3DRobotics)
controller/autopilot: APM1
esc: 20A (3DRobotics)
motors: 850Kv (3DRobotics)
propellers: 10x47, APC (3DRobotics)
motor to motor distance: -- inches

battery:  4S 3300mAh (Turnigy nano-tech)
total weight: -- lbs
flying time: 15 minutes (average)

radio: Turnigy 9X 
video/osd: none
other: Sonar, Xbee, GPS/Mag, Attopilot current sensor

Misc: 

Turnigy 9X: Mode1 -> Mode2 change, Li-ion battery hack
photos:

3690911422?profile=original 

3690911286?profile=original

3690911495?profile=original

-------------

frame:
controller/autopilot:
esc:
motors:
propellers:
motor to motor distance: -- inches

battery:
flying time:

radio:
video/osd:
other:

Misc (hacks/mods):

photos:

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• As my first post and a way to introduce myself, I thought I'd post a description of my scratchbuilt quad.  I apologize if this is long but I want to include some details as it might help out someone or give them ideas for their own project.

When I started this project back in March I was 100% new to RC models.  From learning the very first steps of setting up and binding my Spektrum controller, setting up the APM and doing some successful auto flights, to programming the JDIOBoard to get my LEDs to do what I want, I literally started from the ground up.  Right from the start I wanted to make a drone...at the time regular RC model flight wasn't what I was interested in but during the last few months that's changed (largely due to watching episode after episode of the awesome FliteTest youtube channel!).

A quick bit on my background. I spent my 20s as a programmer, first creating simple Windows apps and then later on embedded systems.  My 30s are currently being spent as a helicopter maintenance engineer.

Ok, where to begin?  After cutting my teeth on the awesome 1SQ miniquad by Heli-Max, I decided that multirotor stuff was for me.  A friend of mine happens to be neighbours with one of the developers on the APM project and that lead me to the Arducopter and DIYDrones.

Not wanting to just buy a kit, I opted to build my frame from scratch.  I wanted it to be light, strong, and cheap.  I cheated by using scrap composite material from work.  The first frame was made with nomex honeycomb plates (more on that below) and child sized graphite hockey sticks:

drone_001.jpg
    It flew, pretty well actually, but I knew I could do better.

Enter mkIII (I've been through a few revisions of the frame):

drone_002.jpg

mkIII had several improvements.

First, the nomex panels.  Nomex is a sort of waxy paper.  The panels are made by taking a nomex honeycomb structure and sandwiching it between two very thin layers of fiberglass and epoxy.  The result is a extremely lightweight and relatively strong panel.  In the photo above you can see that I bonded two layers together for the main frame, several pieces were bonded to make the arms, and I used loose panels to carry the avionics.  Total frame weight, with all hardware but no motors, esc, or electronics, was something like 600g.  Very light and very rigid.  Nomex also happens to absorb vibration pretty well, which leads me to the second improvement:

Isolating the APM from vibration came in two stages.  The blue isolators I found laying around in the shop.  They are very similar to the black ones that come with the RCTimer GoPro gimbal but a bit more robust.  They held up the entire avionics shelf.  The APM itself is also sitting on your friend and mine, the ever popular Moon Gel.

The results, with unbalanced props and motors (that were also misaligned because I was lazy with the frame alignment):

log.jpg

Not bad!

drone_003.jpg
    In the above photo you can see that I added a second shelf and installed LED strips:

drone_004.jpg
    These are controlled by the JDIOBoard and marks the point where I started getting into the programming side of things.  Working from the sample code, I got the LEDs to perform different functions based on MAVLink messages.  As it stands right now, when the APM is DISARMED the forward (white) and aft (blue) lights are off and the left (red) and right (green) pulse.  When the GPS gets 3d lock, the aft lights go on steady.  When the APM is ARMED, all lights go steady.

Here is my setup, as it was not even a week ago:

drone_005.jpg
    APM moved to the top shelf to get it away from the power distrubution system.  Metal tape also provides a bit more isolation from electrical interference (not much though).  Telemetry added, fed to my phone using the awesome Droidplanner app!

I've flown many missions with the above setup and it's worked great.  However, I wanted more.  I wanted a hex.

Despite how well the nomex frame worked, I decided to forgo the scratchbuild for the new drone and concentrate more on the Arduino programming side of things.  Here's a sneak peak of what I had built a couple days ago:

drone_006.jpg
    Since then I've tuned the RCTimer gimbal, wired up the motors and escs, and did the basic Arducopter 3.0.1 setup.

Planned improvements: external mag once the GPS + mag unit becomes available from Canadadrones (Dany has helped me a lot and everyone in Canada should buy from him!).  I've been working on the code to get the JDIOBoard to initialize the gimbal controller.  I'm also cooking up a rigging pin to hold the gimbal in place during initialization and to keep it from flopping around in transport.  Yes, this pin will include a "Remove Before Flight" tag ;).  I also made a killswitch to make it easier and safer to kill the power if something goes wrong on the ground (I had a few close calls with the other drone trying to quickly disconnect the battery).

And that's it so far!

• frame: TBS Discovery
    controller/autopilot: APM 2.5
    esc: Turnigy Plash 18A
    motors: L2215J 900kv Turnigy
    propellers: SF 10 x 4.5
    battery: 3s 5000mAh LiPo

Telemetry: 3DR 433MHz

Video: Gopro 3 White

FPV: Fatshark 5.8GHz

total weight: ~1750gr
    flying time: 13 min.

radio: Spektrum Dx6i

photos:
    3692713695?profile=original3692713796?profile=original

• frame: Custom aluminium CNC milled
    controller/autopilot: APM 2.5
    esc: RXtimer 40A with simonk firmware
    motors: 4
    propellers: 14 x 4.7
    motor to motor distance: 580mm

battery: 1 - 3 x 3s 5000mAh LiPo
    total weight: ~2000gr
    flying time: not tested yet, but should be 10min with 1 x 5000mAh battery and 20min with the 3 x 5000mAh batteries it was designed for

radio: Devo 10 with deviation firmware
    video/osd: -
    other: -

Misc (hacks/mods): -

photos:

3692713363?profile=original

3692713267?profile=original

3692713391?profile=original

• 3692665062?profile=original

frame: Styrofoam rings, 170mm diameter (inner diameter 130mm). Some wood pieces (4x8mm I think)
    controller/autopilot: Crius AIOP2, MegaPirateNG
    esc: Turnigy Plush 12A
    motors: HK 2725-1600
    propellers: 5x4.5
    motor to motor distance: 170mm
    battery: Zippy Compact 4S 1000mAh 25C
    total weight: 600g
    flying time: 6-7 min
    radio: HK6DF
    video/osd: Nope.
    other: Strange indoor quad. Not very stable.

• 3692665012?profile=original

frame: 10x20mm wood (pine), 2mm plywood
    controller/autopilot: APM2.5, ArduCopter 2.9.1
    esc: RCTimer 20A
    motors: RCTimer 2217-800
    propellers: 10x4.7
    motor to motor distance: 55cm
    battery: 1800mAh 3S 20C (RCTimer)
    total weight: 1100g
    flying time: 10 min
    radio: HK6DF
    video/osd: FatShark 5.8GHz
    other: Sonar. Landing gear made out of pipe insulation (picture shows some piano wire loops that didn't work)

• Hello everyone...

One of my first posts so I guess I'll introduce myself first.  My name is Andrew and I currently reside in the Daytona Beach, FL area.  I have been flying RC for many years and recently got into FPV with a skywalker X8 running a full Eagle Tree OSD/Diversity/Telemetry setup.

As I'm also into photography, I got interested in building a camera platform that would eventually be able to carry my Canon T4I.  

So this is what I came up with:

*S6 hex air frame from www.sto.org.tw

*S6-Pro Gimbal from www.sto.org.tw
    *STO 530KV motors
    *Generic 40A esc
    *APM 2.5 with GPS, 3DR data radio and 3DR current sensor for flight control
    *Paris Sirrus multiwii board for gimbal control
    *DX8 and AR8000 TX/RX combo

*Turnigy Nano-Tech 4S2P  10000 MAh

I didn't find much info on STO but they had a lot of videos of their products and they seemed to be of pretty good quality.  I took the risk and ordered the air frame, motors and gimbal.  For the most part, I am happy.  I can see that I will probably have to modify the gimbal if I'm going to get truly professional results... It has a bit of slop that could be taken out with some better components.  I will probably upgrade the MultiWii controller as it doesn't seem to want to hold the horizon level no matter how much tweeking I do.  I learn something new every day tho so it might just be something I'm overlooking.  The MultiWii board leaves a little to be desired in the area of documentation (esp. documentation regarding using it as a stand alone 3 axis gimbal controller).  The pitch axis is locked in pretty well, but with the roll axis the servo keeps up fine but when it settles the mount isn't level.  For example: from a level position roll the gimbal 5 degrees, the servo tracks fine with proper speed but when they stop the gimbal settles at say 4 degrees.  I'm not sure what to do to improve this.  Overall, im pretty happy with it but I havent started messing around with the yaw axis or added manual control to the system.  So we shall see...

The only other gripe I have about this setup is the motors from STO.  They only have a single grub screw securing the bell to the shaft.  After just one tip over, the grub screw on both front motors stripped so now the props slip a little.  This is evident in the copter always wanting to be in forward motion.  I'm guessing this is due to less power being transferred to the front two motors because of the slip.  I ordered a set of bolt on prop shafts that will hopefully alleviate this problem.  In the mean time, I just tuned up the APM for a good, stabilized hover.  This was very easy and required very little tweaking.  It flew almost perfect right out of the box (See the first video)...

Anyway, thanks for reading and if anyone has any tips I'm all ears!

APG

3692610955?profile=original

3692610818?profile=original

Really boring video of me hovering.  Hopefully I'll have something better soon.

First Flight:

http://youtu.be/-DyOZmuSG_Y

(I cant get my videos to embed here?! not sure what I'm doing wrong...)

I will post the second and third flights after they finish uploading.

• frame: Finwing Penguin (ReadyMadeRC)
    controller/autopilot: APM 2.0
    esc: 60A (Finwing)
    motors: 2815 (Finwing)
    propellers: APC 9x7.5e
    battery:  3S 5k (Grayson Hobby)

flying time: 20 minutes mixed flight

radio: Spektrum DX8
    video: 600tvl camera + 1.3ghz 1.5 watt video tx (Ready Made RC)
    osd: MinimOSD 1.1
    other: 433mhz radio link, air speed sensor

835_534254389942898_2089338708_n.jpg183389_534254386609565_1316057862_n.jpg413404_545825772119093_1674435135_o.jpg

• frame: Quadcopter (Modified JDrones Hexa, scaled down)
    controller/autopilot: APM1
    esc: 30A (JDrones)
    motors: 880Kv (JDrones)
    propellers: 10x47, APC (CanadaDrones)
    battery:  4S 4500 mah (Turnigy nano-tech)
    radio: Futaba T7C

• Here goes information about my quad.
    frame: diy (Steadicam)
    controller/autopilot: APM2
    esc: 60A (HY)
    motors: 670Kv (emax)
    propellers: 14x7, APC ()
    motor to motor distance: -- 700 mm
    battery: 6S 10000mAh ()
    total weight: 6000g
    flying time: 10minutes (average)
    radio: 3DR
    video/osd: none
    other: 3DR, GPS/Mag, Attopilot current sensor

3692569013?profile=original3692569107?profile=original

3692569038?profile=original

• Here's my latest APM2.5 equipped Quad. It is a Reptile500 Frame which is a TBS Discovery inspired design.

REPTILE500 Frame from Himodel.com
    Motors - AX-2810Q-750KV - Hobbyking
    Props - GemFan Carbon Nylon 11x4.7
    ESCs - Hobbyking 30A UBEC SimonK'd from sgdrone.com
    Flight Controller - APM2.5 (2.81 quad firmware) with Ublox GPS from sgdrone.com
    Battery - HK 2200 Turnigy 20-30c Lipo
    AUW - 1.4kg with GoPro

image.php?album_id=1&image_id=50image.php?album_id=1&image_id=51image.php?album_id=1&image_id=52image.php?album_id=1&image_id=53

Since I'm using old batteries with many cycles in them, the flight time is estimated to be around 7-8 minutes, with new batteries, I reckon a flight time of close to 10 minutes.

I've got a more detailed overview at this link.

This reply was deleted.

Activity