I have a Telemaster PLUS Ive built for aerial observation and general loitering above a target. Ive maidened the plane and have the autopilot/OSD installed. Im planning on using a ball turret gimbal that is designed for the sony block camera (sony fcb-ix11a or similar) and as Im learning more about these cameras, which seem to be the standard for UAV ops in civil and military applications, Im having questions about camera control.

Pan/tilt will be through a separate transmitter and 2-axis stabilization through a picloc 3x Pro, but what about camera zoom? I know the block camera utilizes the Visca rs-232 interface through the TTL serial port on the camera, so is it possible to control it through the outputs of an rc receiver?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• yes! thats the answer I was hoping for. Thanks so much. Im planning on ordering the camera and gimbal at the end of the month and I will contact you for assistance if you dont mind.

Matt

• Hi, this is not as easy as it sounds, but very doable.

I have developed the code to control Visca on all the FCB range of cams by reading the PWM outputs from an RX.

You would need a Arduino mini 168 and better for this to work.

Controls that we have employed and working now, are pan, tilt, slow zoom, fast zoom, image invert, on, off

Basically it wil do whatever you want it do depending on how many channels you feed to the mini arduino.

The complex bit is the hex code you need to employ and the method of sending it to the fcb(all listed in the manuals for any FCB) fro each command, essentialy once you have one command working the rest are fairly easy.

Reading the PWM and creating the outputs require a bit of timing, but we have it working.

If you want some help with this, let me know.

regards,

Mike,

• Hi! I have SONY FCB EV-7520A CAMERA, can you help me for control with rc pwm the zoom lens ? Whatever it costs, I'm willing to pay for the service ;) :)
      If possible make or get me a board with 30pin lvds attack for the camera block. thank you very much !!
        sorry for my bad english.. :(
This reply was deleted.

Activity