Sunnysky motors, whether they are fake or real

I'm gathering parts for a 450mm quad and the only thing that I'm worried about is whether or not these motors are legit. I have read that there are many copies of these motors on eBay and other sites, like even bang good and was wondering if anyone could tell if these were legit or fake before I get them and potentially waste money.I have read up on all the fake clone models out there and so far this looks good. If there is anyone in the know I would greatly appreciate it if you could help.Link to eBay page: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-SUNNYSKY-X2208-7-2600KV-Brushless-Motor-30A-ESC-RC-Multicopter-Aircraft-/301496136276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463291f254

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank's Alasdair for so detailed explanation below, I buy them for Sale in a specialized multirrotor shop but I can't confirm now if they are true or fake, I suppose they are true but I'm going to pay more attention to them; thank's for advice goys.

• Yes I agree, I have SunnySky X4110S 400Kv motors on my Tarot X8 frame and they perform as expected, perfect!
    I bought them from GoodLuckBuy who sell the real deal no fakes.

• Anyone knows how to identify a fake T-motor? this post give me doubt about my new motors I bought in China; they work but I never have others good quality for compare.

• Good motors...3dr puts them on the x8!

• I use these same sunnysky & esc combo (might have come from the same buyer. They work wonderfully and are legit imho. I cant see a flaw and they are much smoother than other motors I have used. I've had a bad copy of motors they looked like these ones: here

They had poor copper wire winding which caught as they turned, and the bearings were rough. This made the vibrations on the flight controller off the scale and unflyable.

Most importantly for me is the theory & ideology behind fake motors.

- It must take some skill and effort to try to reproduce a product as accurately as possible...And then screw it up.

- It is possibly more expensive for the manufacturer in the long term to reproduce badly.

- Some suggest it is done by 'other rivals' (China) to tarnish the reputation of a well reviewed product from elsewhere (Japan bearings). Clever idea if it's true. Reputation destruction is a powerful tool in the internet age. There are whole Office buildings dedicated to reputation trashing. We usually just accept that they are exclusive to trashing news article comments, but why not attempt product reputation destruction too (3DR vs DJI is a potential example - 3DR built upon open source and hobbyist ideas, DJI as a bizarrely mega-funded company who are reluctant to open source - who is therefore more likely to seek to attack and destroy their rival's reputation? The happy & open company? Or the shareholder company? It is an interesting possibility that I am happy to have had the opportunity to observe these past four or so years, and is recently getting much much more prominent. 

I once used to share a house with an Asian girl back in my student days and she told me a story about how her family ran a Chinese food restaurant. And after a year, a rival moved in a hundred meters away. What started to happen soon after included frequent unsavory events such as poop being dropped at the front door, trash being strewn around the trade door. She explained that this is a common and popular way to beat your rival. It is not enough to win by good product and good reviews alone, the winner will not be the nice guy. She taught me a great deal about vigilance & mindfulness in our daily lives.

Anyway, that is my 10 cents. MY sunnysky motors were the good ones, and I hope that all buyers of sunnysky motors get the good ones too because they are splendid.

dji 920kv motor 4pcs - Google Search
    • Thank you for your reply. I never really thought about it in that way. Back to the actual motors though, are you sure you got them from pflhobbyboy on eBay? I have gotten other things from him and he seems reliable. If you got them from him and they were legit I might consider buying them.
      • For the record:
        Here is an image of my sunnysky order from 'pflhobbyboy' on ebay: here

And here is my bad set of motors from 'swift1818': here

Hope this helps.

• Sunnyskys are not rip offs of T Motors. They are less expensive and not quite as good. A genuine X series is very decent motor and about half the cost of an equiv T Motor. Trouble is they are massively counterfeited and you can only buy them from reputable sources.
    • I totally agree with everything Marc said. Sunnyskys are very good motors that are quiet , powerful and efficient, but cost half the price of equivalent motors and are counterfeited a lot making it hard to buy them.
      • There are ways to get them cheaply, but more times than not they will be fakes. There is a few sellers that sell genuine ones on eBay, but are hard to identify, as there is so many fakes.
This reply was deleted.

Activity