Swift Nav Piksi

Hey everyone,

There was a lot of talk about the Swift Piksi RTK GPS mid-last year. The last thing I can find is that drivers were included in the ardupilot firmware such that it supported the Piksi as a normal GPS, but as yet without RTK functionality.

That was 6 months ago now, but I can't find anything in any change logs so suggest the RTK support has since been implemented.

Does anyone know anything more about this? It would be super cool to see RTK functionality on this system.

Cheers,

Patrick

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for swift,the pixhawk can use the rtk system.And our rtk system(www.i-rtk.com use the ublox as a receiver) can also used on pixhawk system. Thanks for swift's work,the rtk system comes more cheaper .

• Take a look on Tersus that may help you.

• Why can't the Piksi driver be fully implemented in the Pixhawk? The perfect use for RTK is high precision GPS without GCS other than the base RTK.

Relying on a computer running GCS and upstream RTK-data to the Pixhawk seems awkward. All data needed is available from the rovers RTK-receiver as any other GPS connected to the Pixhawk.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks

Anders

• Anders,

I agree that this base station method with two separate radio IDs is awkward, it does work quite well once everything jives. I have done extensive testing and successfully flown with Fixed RTK. SwiftNav has also done a much better job with their Pixhawk integration documentation. FYI expect Swift to release a new RTK system with VRS capabilities in the near future. That will be very handy!

Chris

• Hi Patrick and Gerard,

My name is Tim Harris and I am CEO of Swift Navigation, maker of the Piksi. First off, thank you for your interest and patience. I promise you that no one wants to fly with RTK more than we do. As I'm sure you realize, building an low-cost RTK system from scratch is large and difficult project, but one we are dedicated to solving. Over the last year, we've made extraordinary progress; garnered some resources, built a fantastic team of 12, and are fast approaching v1.0 (check back in 6 weeks). 

We're also very close now to having a driver ready, and I'm going to have to ask for a little more patience. We will be posting some videos once we have it up and running on pixhawk, and will be making an announcement on the forum.

To all the whole DIYdrones, we greatly appreciate all your support and are working hard to deliver cheap and accuracy positioning for you!

Cheers,

Tim

Swift Navigation Raises $2.6 Million For Its Ultra-Precise GPS System
    Swift Navigation has developed centimeter-accurate GPS technology that can be used for a much wider range of applications. The company has developed…
    • Great stuff Tim. Really looking forward to this product!

I'm hoping this will be available in South Africa?

Please keep us in the loop.

• Looking forward to it! I am in China.

• Hi Tim, thanks for the update - this will be a great product once it's ready. I don't know much about RTK, except that one of the major challenges of single frequency RTK is fast and reliable resolution of the integer ambiguity. I'm wondering, would an initial highly accurate (centimeter level) relative position measurement between the antennae, from another source, significantly reduce the resolution time?

• Hi Dan,

What you are referring to is a known baseline initialization, and yes. If you place the units next to each other, or input a calculated distance, they should initialize in matter of seconds. 

Thanks,
        Tim

• My friend has a piksi,I want to buy it,when i read this news ,I want to wait for a while .

This reply was deleted.

Activity