Tarot Gimbal and protecting GoPro lens

I am getting a Tarot Gimbal and want a protective lens cover to protect the gopro's lens in case of a scrape in a crash. Since the Gopro lens is not replaceable want to prevent damage to it. With other set ups I fly it in the waterproof case and know nothing will happen to the camera that is not easily fixed. Some of the 3D printed ones look flimsy. What are any members best solution to protect the Hero3 plus lens when used with the Tarot Gimbal?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ilike the way that looks thanks

• David hi i would suggest you check out getfpv.com and order the layer lens. This is what i have been using for my gopro with tarot gimbal. You need to remove the aluminum camera ring mount and use the supplied velrco strap. It works well. Let me know if you wish to see a photo of my set up.

• That looks like what I am going to try thank you

• I just bought these a few weeks ago: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191417418081?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&a...

• 3701903004?profile=original

I fabricated this ND filter from strong black construction paper, a piece of ND glass and hot glue.  Special care should be used to not touch the glass to the lens, but yet get it close enough to avoid optical interference.  This is not for protection but to improve video on sunny days.  I protects the lens in transport and probably in any minor crash.

I have one of these that I have used with my Tarot Gimbal.  I had to cut it down so the slip ring from the gimbal would fit.  

Go Pro Lens Protector

• Bill Piedra thanks these comments  they all certainly help. It looks like I will try them both so I have what I need when I need it out in the field. The price on both these options the layer lens and the go-pro protector beats the cost of repair and down time. 

• If you have a 3D printer, you can make a lens cover :)

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:300384

or this

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:330156

If you don't have a 3D printer, at least it should give you some ideas...

• Thank you Michael Ciurescu

• I have both the RMRC "GoProtector" and the GetFPV "Layer lens". Of the two I strongly prefer the Layer Lens, despite it being considerably more expensive.

I got the GoProtector first. It's held on to the GoPro both by a friction fit of the lens but also a stretched O ring across the back of the camera. But when stretched across the gimbal camera bracket (which you have to do if the camera's in a gimbal) I felt the O ring was being stretched excessively and was tricky to take on and off. I wasn't thrilled with this so went looking for something else.

I then picked up a Layer Lens. It uses a Velcro strap across the camera back to hold the protective housing in place. This feels a lot better to me as I can easily adjust just what sort of retention tension I want and it also serves to hold the GoPro in the Tarot mount. Also the quality of the protective optics looks a bit better to me.

I think either one will provide sufficient protection to the lens in case of minor crashes but I found the Layer Lens to be easier to use and appears to be of better quality.

This reply was deleted.

Activity