Telemetry and HD video over 4G

I am successfully using a 4G LTE network connection to send bidirectional telemetry AND HD (1280X1024 / 25fps) Video from my drones.  The video is perfect, the telemetry is perfect - regardless of range (assumes 4G is available).  I use my cell phone as a hotspot and connect using MISSION PLANNER on my laptop. The video is "snow free" and is viewed  on CHROME or FireFox browsers. 

The cost of all the equipment is under $100, but I do have to pay for a data plan ($15-$50/month) - and a small monthly amount for server time. The server setup is special to allow for the 4G<->4G connection.  The telemetry data is encrypted, the video data is not (at this time, anyway).  The system camera is non-standard but tiny.I can control the drone with a joystick connected through Mission Planner.  The latency is 0.8 seconds - max. The total weight of the system is 100 grams.  No equipment other than a computer running Mission Planner is needed on the "ground side" (except for a cell phone or other hot-spot).

I was thinking that others could use my setup as well. In that case I would have to set up multiple accounts on the server and manage them.  Before I take this any further -

Would anyone else be interested in the setup I have?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• MR60

interesting. What hardware (i assume a 4G dongle on a companion computer ?) and software is needed on the drone side ?

• Charles,

This is very interesting. I was actually looking at some sort of system to have failover to 4G telemetry with video as an option and a gamepad as a backup. Also a RFD 900+ is part of my equipment.

There are a few now that allow you to put an android in you plane and do this. Here is one quite mature option from some clever guy in Egypt. Check out his thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2301482-Andruav-Unli...   and his app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rcmobile.FPV&hl=en

I would be interested in seeing your setup. You should do a posting. At some point I do want to get this working as I am planning some long range FPV flying over water.

RC Groups
    RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums,…
  • Hi Charles, can I get an account for the server? Mind telling me the model-name of Logitech game controller? I'll try to buy one by local store.  Cheers.

Richard

• The stability of my server is 100%.  I'm using Amazon web services.  

Mission planner is designed to use a Logitech game controller connected to a USB port.  Not the best, but it does work.

• Hi Charles, it sounds very interesting.  0.8 second latency, pretty cool. I would like to try the stability of your server? BTW,  how you connected the joystick to Mission Planner. Since I don't have joystick, I wonder if my RC transmitter (Turnigy, 8 channels) may replace it.

Good job!

Richard

• I should add that telemetry only is a lot easier - and cheaper from a data usage standpoint.

I also have a RFD900 on-board.  My setup can use either.  Currently, the failover isn't totally seamless, but I'm working on that.

So if I'm running close-range, I use the RFD900's, but if the radio goes out of range, I can switch to 4G in about 20 seconds.

This reply was deleted.

Activity