Telemetry and HD video over 4G

I am successfully using a 4G LTE network connection to send bidirectional telemetry AND HD (1280X1024 / 25fps) Video from my drones.  The video is perfect, the telemetry is perfect - regardless of range (assumes 4G is available).  I use my cell phone as a hotspot and connect using MISSION PLANNER on my laptop. The video is "snow free" and is viewed  on CHROME or FireFox browsers. 

The cost of all the equipment is under $100, but I do have to pay for a data plan ($15-$50/month) - and a small monthly amount for server time. The server setup is special to allow for the 4G<->4G connection.  The telemetry data is encrypted, the video data is not (at this time, anyway).  The system camera is non-standard but tiny.I can control the drone with a joystick connected through Mission Planner.  The latency is 0.8 seconds - max. The total weight of the system is 100 grams.  No equipment other than a computer running Mission Planner is needed on the "ground side" (except for a cell phone or other hot-spot).

I was thinking that others could use my setup as well. In that case I would have to set up multiple accounts on the server and manage them.  Before I take this any further -

Would anyone else be interested in the setup I have?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• NO, I'm not monitoring this thread.  And....

I don't know what a DISCO 2 is.

The telcos do not normally let you call someone and then automatically "push" data to them.  The other person has to start an application that requests the data.  Then Verizon et. al. lets the data flow.

In my setup,  both ends contact the same server.  Since that server has a name and a static ip address, this solves all the dynamic ip issues, and requires no dydns lookups.  The server is set to tunnel the data from one connection to the other with no modifications except for encryption.  The server also acts as a webRTC server.  It facilitates the peer-peer transmission of video, andt handles the ip resolution slightly differently in this case.

• Charles -- not sure if you are monitoring this thread. Can you take a look at this video and specifically the technical comments and advise if you think there is a data carrier (Verizon/T Mobile) whose 4G modem that could work with this setup. I only ask as you seem to have done some work on 4G connectivity. I have read you mentioning that Verizon will not allow incoming connections. This seems to require such a thing. Sorry it is a little off topic. I have purchased a Disco (2 actually) as they are now $399. 

• Dear friends, can any one please send me proper details on 4g telemetry so I can use . . . Plz guide
  • Dear friends, can any one please proper details on 4g telemetry so I can use . . . Plz guide.
  • Charles,

Do you have more detail on this

little (1" X 1") board which acts as a level shifter / failover / data selector.  That board connects to 6 GPIO and power pins on a Raspberry pi, and 4 pins of a RFD 900 radio (also works with 3DR radio)

Better yet, can I get one from you? The failover of telemetry from 4G to RF radio is something I am needing.

I am using Sprint since the Static IP addresses are $3/mo

• Ok :)

I will take a look at the WebRTC.

Here is my very first version :)

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/skywalker-x8-video-and-telemetr...

• I hadn't seen your method.  I guess the 'net is too big sometimes. 

I'm using WebRTC instead of GSTREAMER, and I'm also using the Raspberry to handle the telemetry directly without any other hardware. For 4G connectivity, I use a standard (either Novatel or Pantech) dongle to handle the 4G. I can buy those  for $10-$15 on eBay.  I'm currently using Verizon as a provider due to their extensive coverage area, but I may try moving over to another provider that has a cheaper data plan (like SPRINT).

If I have time, I'll try your method and see if it has any advantages/disadvantages over what I'm using. 

Tommy Larsen said:

Hi

This is a great way to do telemetry and video. I made similar solution 4 years ago. 

Take a look at www.uavmatrix.com for my system.

• Hi

This is a great way to do telemetry and video. I made similar solution 4 years ago. 

Take a look at www.uavmatrix.com for my system.

• I don't see why not.  Any processor that is capable of producing h.264 video of a decent resolution,  has a RS-232 port (TTL level), and a good USB port will work. And you need Linux plus some software.

Emin Bu said:

Can we do all this same way with Edison onboard Pixhawk 2?

• Can we do all this same way with Edison onboard Pixhawk 2?

This reply was deleted.

Activity