Tell me what pains you about drones/UAVs. (VENT AT ME)

I've been fascinated by drones for quite some time, but have recently had the opportunity to join a university engineering team and we're looking to develop some sort of drone component. We've had a few great ideas so far, but we want to do some more research by asking actual thought leaders and seasoned hobbyists. 

I want to hear what really pains you about drones. What would make your life easier? How can we build something to fix your problems? Also, I'm very open to having a Skype call!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• At DroneDeploy (www.dronedeploy.com), we support Sony stock Nex series as well as QX series and control it wirelessly onboard the aircraft. We have got really nice maps consistently with those cameras some without gimbals.

Happy to chat privately. :)

• +2!  

The Sony QX cameras are so close to perfect for us, but are missing just about every interface we need.  They don't have any wired video output.  Well, the QX1 has HDMI output, but that is not very useful.  Simple analog output would be nice for simply framing shots.

They also have no remote triggers, either IR or wired.  

• QX1 can be triggered via USB

• That is really interesting! I will be keeping an eye on that project. It is really so close, we just need 4K and an analogue output. It's doable!

• Would this help? 

http://www.hobby-wing.com/hdmi-to-av-converter-for-fpv1.html

• Not quite, because the QX1 has a mini HDMI connector.  I actually have one of these devices for my Nex5.  It's OK.  I got lucky because mine works.  Many many people got non-working ones from various vendors.  Seems like you have to buy 3 from different vendors to have a good chance of getting one that works.

• Hey Rob, those QX100/10s look incredible, wondering if we will be seeing some interesting collaborations with APM and the Sony API.

• I bought a QX100 a while back and took a good look at the API's that Sony has published.  It's 100% possible to put together a very nice integrated FPV solution with these camera's and I totally agree with Rob that they are almost perfect.  Haven't gotten around to digging deeper, but if someone was interested in collaborating, I might have some time in the near future.

• Hi Robert, other commenters have mentioned many of my concerns. I am assuming that your local team has discussed the wide variety of applications/uses for aerial and other kinds of drones. And you are probably familiar with the remarkable variety of UAVs and management systems that have been appearing over the last few years. Is there a "short list" of the kinds of "painful components" that your team is likely to consider?

• MR60

I'd like a drone that is guaranteed not to flyaway nor become uncontrollable. That's my wish for christmas (i do not dare say what year...).

This reply was deleted.

Activity