Teradek Cube 255

I pulled the pin and order a Teradek Cube 255 (digital video transmitter).

It uses dual band 802.11n wifi, an whilst they quote 100m, I'm hoping to get 200m using a high powered Ubiquiti Networks Nanostation M access point.

I will post results when I receive it.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Hai,

I was wondering if you had any updates about your setup? I'm thinking about purchasing a cube set and the Ubiquiti Nanostation M that you recommended,  to use as a long distance monitor and possible live broadcasting for events.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Best,

Kevin

Finally did a proper aerial test of the Teradek 255 on our octo.  Got 300m flying at 30m AGL, did a few pirouettes and no loss of signal or pixelization with the bitrate set to 2MBps, 720p 50fps, source GoPro Hero 2, ground station was a Ubiquity Nanostation 5.8Ghz.  Could have going further but due to ground traffic we were limited to 300m.

Without the Nanostation and the built in wireless of the decoder, we only got 100m.

I've just received my Cube 255 encoder and 450 decoder.  I should start with a positive, but I'll start with a negative (as its shorter). 

I think the power fly leads that were sent to me was not what I ordered.  It connects to the 255 (which already has a built in battery), but it doesn't connect to the 450 which doesn't, so we had to test with the help of an inverter running off a car.

OK for the positive.

Ground test: We got 280 metres range using the stock antennas with about 300ms latency, it was noticeable but almost real time and maybe fast enough for FPV multicopter for filming or still photography, driving the car down a straight road until we hit the end of the T intersection.  We were located in a light industrial area.  We did have some frame freezes that lasted between 1 and 3 seconds a few times, and we only got a blue screen when we turned off the road and was NLOS.  Given that the application is to stream from a multicopter at a max altitude of 121metres and range of 250m, I think that we can see that test # 1 is a PASS.  It was night time so we haven't done a flight test yet but we are very pleased so far.

Our current setup:

Cube 255 encoder setup as an access point on 802.11n 5GHz band

Stock antennas

Sony NEX7

Bitrate set at 500kbps

Cube 450 decoder setup as wireless client outputting HDMI to Lilliput 7" monitor

We are planning on trying the following to see if we can get better results:

Setting intra refresh mode to get latency down from 300ms to 100-130ms

Putting a high gain omni on the decoder for better range

Putting a patch antenna on the decoder for better range

Connecting to the encoder using a Ubiquiti Nanostation M in bridge mode, and connecting the UTP to the decoders wired port for better range.

Putting antenna extensions and positioning the two antennas on the Cube 255 further apart.

Bearing in mind, we do not see the need to operate any further that 250m, so if we could get low latency, interference free to 250m, it would be fantastic!

• Very nice indeed

I have also gone a similar route but i'm using 2 bullet M5s with a High res IP camera. (I haven't purchased the camera yet)

I do have the luxury of a little more space though :0) I have no experience with ubiquiti products so will be spending some serious time nutting them out when I get home. Haven't even had the time to open the boxes yet!

Are you using the 1080i output of the go pro through the Teradek It looks to be a very compact solution!

What frequency do these units operate at?

• $1,990.00?  Ouch!  You must be pretty serious about something!

If you get a chance to crack the case please take some pictures and write down what chips it's using.  It sure would be nice to have an open hardware version.

Good luck and be sure to post back your results and some video!

This reply was deleted.

Activity