Unexpected ROLL wackyness... what's the cause?

Hi all

Had a nasty crash, things were going fine and all the sudden roll goes haywire and it goes down.

I've been looking at the logs and around 2.5 minutes Roll goes way off from desired roll and things go downhill quickly from there.  I've been trying to figure out what could have caused this but so far I'm stumped.

3691188668?profile=original

Some background.  Pixhawk clone.  Specs are similar to TBS discovery.  I've had it up only a few times but have completed Auto Tune and have gotten a couple of 8-9 minute flights.  Battery is 5000 mah 4C

Here is a video of the flight:

http://youtu.be/iGJZozCvxXM

Here's what Log Analyzer says:

Log File C:/Users/dude/AppData/Local/Temp/tmpC8A6.tmp.log
Size (kb) 2690.99609375
No of lines 37146
Duration 0:02:38
Vehicletype ArduCopter
Firmware Version V3.2
Firmware Hash c8e0f3e1
Hardware Type
Free Mem 0
Skipped Lines 0

Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
Test: Balance/Twist = GOOD -
Test: Brownout = FAIL - Truncated Log? Ends while armed at altitude 9.75m
Test: Compass = FAIL - Large change in mag_field (42.95%)
Max mag field length (582.61) > recommended (550.00)

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
Test: Empty = GOOD -
Test: Event/Failsafe = GOOD -
Test: GPS = GOOD -
Test: IMU Mismatch = FAIL - Check vibration or accelerometer calibration. (Mismatch: 1.72, WARN: 0.75, FAIL: 1.50)
Test: Parameters = GOOD -
Test: PM = GOOD -
Test: Pitch/Roll = FAIL - Roll (-176.82, line 36718) > maximum lean angle (45.00)
Test: Thrust = GOOD -
Test: VCC = GOOD -

BIN is attached.  Thanks for help.

12.BIN

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi all, 

Wanted to provide an update on this issue.

Analysis of the logs showed that the machine lost control but it was not because of the flight controller.  

After staring at the log analyzer view "mechanical failure" for a long time, I decided to take things apart and see what could have been the failure.  Did a prop break?  Motor glitch?  

When I was unmounting the ESC's I noticed a problem on the Right Front (the one that glitched).  One of its component parts had a very loose connection with the board and when I cut back the heat shrink it fell off.  So it was making enough of a connection but some gust of wind or slight nudge from me was enough to make it lose the electrical connection even if for just a second or two.

Hopefully this helps somebody.  Incidentally now I'm building a hex as I want to experiment with redundancy in case of mechanical failure.

Thanks

This reply was deleted.

Activity