Tilt Rotor Quadcopter for FPV/OSD/UAV

(This is based on my blog post at http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/new-project-quadcopter-first)I am thinking of a Quadcopter Project using a platform based on Arduino since I have learned some programming on it. Currently I am leaning towards the AeroQuad.In the future (if the thing take-offs) I plan on installing video gear for FPV. Followed by that I plan on programming (or if I get lazy I'll just buy a kit) some OSD. And than I should go into the UAV territory.I have many doubts about the project... here are some that maybe someone can help clarify:Based on my needs I believe this will be a VERY long (and probably expensive) project. I do want to discover the best COSTxBENEFIT solutions, of course.The "foward speed" thing (planes have better foward speed than quads, and also better battery efficiency) is a factor that will probably take me into a next step that will be to transform the Quadcopter into a mix of Quad/V-22 Osprey/Airplane (that's why I have the question about the X configuration). The idea is to benefit from the stability and VTOL of the Quadcopter and the speed and efficiency of the airplane.I have found a dude trying something like it: http://jasondorie.com/WordPress/?p=5#respondAnyone interested in taking part in a project like this? We can use DIYDrones as a platform or even begin a new community for Open Source development of this Tilt-quad-rotor platform.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just bought the first parts for the Aeroquad project (motors, ESCs, propellers and some tail booms). I hope I didn't make any stupid decisions. What do you think about the parts I bought?

One more question... I didn't buy the batteries yet... but can I plug the motors to a breadboard and a 12v/9v power source?

I'll buy the rest later, I'm testing HobbyCity to see their shipping and handling qualities.

I've been thinking about the tilt-rotor deal, having some ideas. I saw a video of a Rutan Quickie... maybe this can be an interesting platform for the Quad Tilt Rotor.

• I've just found another cool quad-tilt-rotor project! Unfortunatelly the person seems to have stopped improving it in 2007. I've made an invitation to this discussion, I'm sure he knows much of the road and obstacles we face ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/user/maxvtol

• Flying wings make do with no rudder.
  • Just found a nice vid on YouTube. Skip the political "peace-keaping" bullshitake and watch from 1:30 on.

I would probably use a conventional tail section with a "one-piece" elevator and conventional rudder. The elevator would need only onde servo. The rudder I believe is needed to give stability... Or do the four counter-rotating propellers give all the stability needed? In that case, to YAW, we could simply speed up two (or one) of the propellers on one of the sides.

Any comments?
This reply was deleted.

Activity