UAVs for Anti Poaching

I'm working for environmental and anti poaching organizations in Africa. The problem is that there is often not enough personnel to patrol the entire area. We're loosing a lot of game.

We're therefore looking for a low cost, affordable reconnaissance UAVs as an alternative to more expensive existing UAV systems or manned airplanes.

It should possess the following attibutes: 

- operational range of 3 km

- weatherproof design that can resist hot temperatures

- GPS

-autopilot

- real time video transmission

- cost between $1000 - $ 3000

Could you recommend us any models? 

Thank you, man! Your help is greatly appreciated!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've been considering building one in that price class for the same purpose. I live in South Africa where the Rhinos are being poached at an alarming rate.

Can you tell me more about your requirements Eg. Would it be transported in a vehicle or backback? Does it need to be able to land at a remote location and send back pictures before returning? Does it need to fly at night? How important is vertical take-off and landing?

• Me reflection to this post was that i remember a post about some guy using a skywalker like model equiped with FPV equipment and a flir camera. Used to track down pigs in fields. Getting the gps coordinates from the gps and then stalk them at the ground. Then I guess it works hunting poachers with such plane instead. wont have enormous flight time durability though. If a flir camera works in such conditions.  

Link to the on diydrones, than then was linked to rcgroups or something.

http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/blog/show?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3A...

• I too suspect the price range is a bit low for a complete system, but you could also have a look at this one: http://www.trigger.pl/pteryx/

• $1000.00 - 3000.00 is rolling pretty low for what you want. You may want to build based on a kit - or build up an older model. We bought a more expensive model, but it will pay for itself over time.....an investment. i did not want to have to keep going through what did not work  

my email is bcrow.mt@gmail.com if you would like more info. 

Good luck, great project

cheers, byron

This reply was deleted.

Activity