ok so i have a budget of about $650, obviously i cant get a 3D robotics arducopter quad , though i admit it is probably the best uav. 

First Off, i do not know a lot about hands on electrical engineering, and what i want is a completely autonomous UAV that can fly for 12 min+ (preferably multicopter though open to new ideas),has OSD live video, is with reliable GPS and not too hard to make. 

i was thinking the parrot ar drone 2.0 ($300) but the battery life is not that great. If i did id get a $50 battery double of that drones normal mAH (1k > 2k). Now if i have to resort to the flight recorder (which i don't really trust to be great) and qgroundcontrol i will, but i really want to know maybe an brief explanation to get Ardupilot Mega 2.6 on the A.r. drone to make it compatible with mission planner. I don't know how to do it nor do i know if its possible. I really want to know alternatives to the ar drone 2.0 with flight recorder that use APM.

so, a few questions:

1. Can you put the APM 2.6 on any rc multicopter that can hold its weight?

***2. Are there any other options or alternatives that could do what i wanted and are within the budget?

3. Can you put APM 2.6 on a parrot ar drone to have it work with mission planner? and maybe brief explanation?

---Optional  ( if you know ) but appreciated:----

4. how does parrot ar drone fly compared to the arducopter quad?

5. general thoughts on parrot ar drone as a drone and other ideas for < $400 High Quality FPV/OSD multicopters

6. General thoughts on ar drone with upgraded battery and APM 2.6 (maybe vs the flight recorder/qgroundcontrol)

i know its a lot to ask but i'd greatly appreciate it if you guys can tell me if its possible to do that.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Gary, thanks that helped a lot but before I start I would just like to know a few more things. Are there any video tutorials on how to set up pixhawk on the f450? It was a little fast for me and I would like to see it.
    - what is the telemetry set on the pixhawk used for other than fpv/osd?

Also assuming I buy the flame wheel 450 and pixhawk (I don't know about telemetry set) and the turnigy 9x transmitter for $55, could you tell me what other parts I will need to be able to fly it autonomously and with a transmitter? (Ie receivers, battery)

You don't need to list examples for all the other needed parts but if you happen to know any ones that are reliable and relatively cheap if you could tell me it would help a lot.
  • Hi Rick,

I can contribute a few thoughts on this.

Personally the Parrot and the APM is not such a good match, the PX4 with the special AR Parrot daughter board will work very well in a Parrot, but DIYDrones firmware has not yet been written to use it.

I would suggest that you take a look here: http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/build-your-own-multicopter/

And if you look partway down you will find the DJI F450 Flamewheel ARF frame with motors and ESCs.

This is probably the cheapest most reliable way to start for a reliable, versatile and very rugged Quadcopter.

I would definitely suggest getting a Pixhawk as opposed to APM or PX4.

It is lately proving very reliable and will soon start getting enhancements that the APM cannot support because the APM is out of memory and out of CPU performance whereas the Pixhawk has way more of both.

I even have a build article on the F330 which is applicable to the F450 as well: http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/dji-f330-flamewheel/

You really can't beat the price performance ration of this copter and all the parts are extremely well made and will last through many hours of use and abuse.

The F450 has sufficient excess capability to easily allow it to be adapted for GoPro or FPV use.

Special TBS Discovery center plates let you set up for a FPV / GoPro platform inexpensively and easily.

Get a genuine DJI ARF kit, they are superior in every detail to the clones (frames are way stiffer and the motors and ESCs are pro grade tough and reliable.)

The Parrot is a great copter as it comes, but it is a bit light for upgrades and mods, the F450 will handle them well.

A lot of our developers use and love this setup.

You will also need to get an RC setup (if you don't have one) that is compatible with PPM-Sum out receivers.

FR-Sky builds PPM-Sum receivers that are compatible with a variety of transmitters and you can get a very good Turnigy transmitter, FR-Sky interface module and PPM-Sum capable receiver from HobbyKing (or a FR Sky Taranis transmitter if you can actually get one).

I am using my Hitec Aurora 9 transmitter with the new FRSky Delta 8 multi-protocol receivers which have PPM-Sum capability

Hope this helps, in any case I think avoiding the Parrot would be very wise.

Best Regards,

Gary

This reply was deleted.

Activity