V Tail quad

Hi I have a APM 2.5 and love it.

I am interested in the V tail quad copters, but there does not seam to be option for that frame type yet,

I know some people have written there own code & uploaded it as Hex file, that’s great but it would be good if it was available as standard frame.

I was looking at the DiaLFonZoV Tail but it was hard to get in Australia so i have made my own frame loosely based on the info I could find.

3691111137?profile=original

3691111311?profile=original

I have the first proto-type cut & assembled with a Crius MWC 1.9 it fly’s but not great, as I am not that good with setting these things up.

3691111352?profile=original

I have a proposal for a willing person.

I am going to get 2 frame cut next week a V2.0 which will have some improvements on my first frame.

I am willing to Supply ONE frame to some-one who can develop the firmware, settings etc & add them to mission planner etc,  for all to use.

I have only 1 frame for that Knowledgeable person who has the time to develop the code for these copters.

It should be ready to post out on the 10 Apr 2014

email me: dx4217 at yahoo  dot com

Looking forward to getting some feed back

Regards

DAVE

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dave where are you on this project? Developing a Vtail project interested in collaborating 

• Hi Tearig

I have frame V2 flying now, I cut it out of 1mm FR4 (G10), it is light & for normal flying (video & photo or fun) it is ok, for Stunt 3D flying it would not be strong enough :( if i cut it out of 1.5mm or carbon-fiber it would be up to Stunt flying. I will be cutting a 1.5mm frame soon.

The mini frame is still a bit heavy in 1.5mm but in 1mm it would be nice, I will get that cut when i get the larger V2 cut.

My problem is finding a reasonable supplier for the FR4 or Carbon-Fiber $$ wise.

The material costs make it hard to compete with the other frames out there.

I have also cut an Alloy frame & it is slightly heavier that the FR4 but much cheaper & quicker to CNC than the FR4 which is very slow.

I will get some photos of the NEW V2 frame posted soon.

I am also thinking of doing a Large one for VIDEO work with 12" props.

I am still running the MWC boards 2.0 on one & 2.5 on the other. I have tried to compile the V-Tail APM code but keep getting errors, I have even tried the APM IDE (Arduino environment) on a virtual Machine. but didn't work either :(

I have the Android Droid planner but the V-Tail is still not coming up as a frame yet.

I can only run the Mission-Planner 1.2.55 on my Mint KDE 5 (Linux0 as the others crash every time. So it is not showing the V-Tail frame either :(

If you would like to add any input that would be great, For me it is going slow as my work doesn't allow for much free time.

Cheers DAVE

• 3D Robotics

V-tail is now supported in 3.2

• Thanks Chris, followed your thread last night, have a platform ready now just to flash the PX4

This reply was deleted.

Activity