Hi everyone. I wanna start by saying that I love the APM project. I am writing this picture blog because I have not seen anything like this yet for helicopters. Feel free to ask questions or give advice.
Right now having some issues in configuring... hopefully those issues will be solved here.
Currently I am unable to calibrate the compass properly. It is built unto the same board as the LEA6H GPS. I keep twisting the heli in all directions like a mad man until my wrists start killing me and then Mission Planner would say not enough samples. Also having problems calibrating the accelerometer as this heli is so heavy. All up weight should be about 860g but it 1.43kg. Hope this fat girl can fly. People have said its easier to calibrate the accelerometer with the APM out of the UAV... on a quad that might be easy to remove... but on heli, I would have to remove most electronics. Can both accelerometer and compass be calibrated accurately while in the heli?
Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop Windows 7 Ultimate
VWinRC 450 TB belt driven Flybarless helicopter
Spektrum DX8 radio - v3.00 firmware
Orange RC 8ch receiver
APM 2.6 - Arducopter 3.1.4 firmware
Crius ublox LEA6H GPS & Mag (compass) - running 8.04 firmware
915 GHz 3DR radio - SiK 1.9 firmware
2200mah x 2 for a total of 4400mah parallel lipo
YEP 45A Esc with 5A BEC - power servos and motor
5v 5A BEC with voltage regulation - power APM, 2dr radio, receiver & gps
Align 525 metal gear MINI servo
KST 215 mg metal gear MICRO servo x3
Turnigy Typhoon 2218 motor with 13 tooth pinion turning 150 tooth main gear
This is a very detailed look at how I built and wired the heli:
Above is the final look at all the parts I decided to use.
I then flashed:
ublox GPS LEA6h
Assembled kit and checked motor direction.
Leveled swashplate using leveler tool
Checking my all up weight
Receiver mounted upside-down under withe 3M mounting tape
Sorting out the cables
Testing all electronics before mounting
Read about this and saw it tested. Could not resist the urge to buy and try.
This definitely looks like something that doesn't belong on a heli... lol
Moon gel being squished... I wonder if I pulled the tie strap too tight... let me know
I know its not neat and rather untidy but I tried my best to neaten up using battery straps, tie straps and cable hooks to clear main gear.
BEC and 3dr radio mounted with 3M mounting tape.
Completed. Everything mounted. Main blades and tail blades left off to setup heli safely.
Have not flown it yet. I would like to maiden it tomorrow if I get it configured tonight. Center of gravity is spot on thanks to the way the batteries were mounted. Thank Rob and Xin for the advice.
Thats it, let me know what you think.