So, awhile back, I had the idea of making my own UAV, and never really got anywhere with it past the initial flight exp I was able to receive on a co-workers one, which was minimal, but created some level of interest.

So, I am leaning to getting a DIY kit from 3DR (Specifically, the 3DR ArduCopter Quad-C Frame) with the slightly more powerful motors and the 11X47  props and the uBlox GPS which puts me right at the top of my price range.

That said, I still need a (radio) controller, and don't want to spend too much over $200 dollars.  I have heard some good things about the futaba 7C's, but the biggest thing my research has turned up is I should find controllers with failsafes for when the signal dies, and apparently the 7C does not have this feature?  

Basically, my main question is what should I be looking for as far as controllers go for about 200 bucks, and is the kit from 3DR ok for a guy just starting?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The FrSky Taranis is slowly becoming available; mine has finally shipped from Aloft Hobbies after being on the waiting list for several months! :-)

I've had and used a top-of-the-line Futaba since about 1992 - The 9ZHP. It was the "cats meow" and still has many more features than I can use. Since switching from 50MHz ham modules to the FrSky 2.4GHz radios it's been great with never a glitch.

However the features of the Taranis along with the quality of the FrSky modules purchased for the Futaba won me over, and I love the built in telemetry and customizable voice announcements. It looks to be a great radio and I can't hardly wait to get it in my hot little hands next week!

• So after some additional looking around and reading reviews, the 9xr with the Frsky DJT module from Hobbyking looks pretty good, however it seems I still need a battery and charger.  From what I understand due to the weight tradeoffs etc, ~2200 mAh is the capacity I should be looking at, but beyond that I don't know what makes a battery or a charger "Good."  I have read I should be looking for one with a leveler as well, such as one of the (Imax?) ones from hobby king, but I don't know what battery to get with it.

• Look at the 9xr with Frsky DJT modules.  Its has telemetry in it, open source and a very nice setup. turnigy9xr.com

Turnigy® 9XR Transmitter
This reply was deleted.

Activity