MR60

Worlds Best ESC - Making it Better

That's a bold statement ... Worlds Best. But it's even larger than that. Not just Worlds Best, but best for most all applications less than 30 Amps (limit of the tests). That means:

- duration ships that only pull 2 to 8 amps per rotor

- most all 6S and smaller ships (exception of nano-ships)

- any-size FPV racer

- any other ship in between

Why almost any size? Shouldn't a small FPV racer use a smaller and lighter ESC for response? Yes, if it does better on a net-lift response test. In other words, when you penalize the ESC for it's weight, is it still better and faster? What i continue to see is ESC manufacturers downsizing critical components of the ESC at a net loss. They weight savings is lost because of greater thrust loss and response. In other words, this heavier ESC will out accelerate, in the real world, a smaller and lighter ESC.

Why post this? To move technology forward, we need to report to industry what works and what doesn't. For some reason (i don't know why), this ESC works better than all others tested:

- for generating maximum thrust from the motor***

- for net-lift efficiency or the grams of weight it can lift (after it lifts the rotor) per watt

- for response (how fast it can generate targeted lift)

These tests were conducted on multiple days on multiple rotors of highly variant size, always being immediately compared back to another DYS 40A multicopter test to ensure that the baseline wasn't changing.

The ESC that dominated is a DYS 40A OPTO Multicopter using SimonK. The photo is included because there are two others that carry a similar or same name.

- Not the white cover DYS BLHeli 40A

- Not the one that is says "Programmable" versus "Multicopter" in the blue/purple band across the front

3691280727?profile=original

Have i tested all ESCs? No, but if you are convinced you know of one that would work better, let me know. I've tested most all of the following and one or more of their variants:

- DYS

- Multistar

- Turnigy

- T-Motor

- Afro

- Motortron

- Quattro

- 3DR

- Spider

- KDE

- ZLW

- Aris

- EMAX

- AutoQuad

- Exceed

- HobbyWing

- Lumenier

To do a test like this, a highly repeatable and finite test stand is needed. It took a while to develop one but what works is one that:

- measures (at a minimum) volts, amps, thrust, motor temp (shoots IR up the aft end of the motor)

- eliminates harmonics between the rotor and load sensor (this proved difficult but achievable)

- is calibrated and proves repeatable within 1.5%

- controlled by a system that can precisely repeat a rotor test (uses a Audurino Mega)

- directly feeds the data into Excel for analysis (uses DATAQ)

- uses a test script that produces repeatable results

- uses a test procedure that minimizes repeatability error (used average of multiple tests)

How much better is this ESC?  On average:

- 4.4% higher net lift (after it lifts itself)

- 2.3% more net-lift efficient (usually the larger the better)

- from more than twice the response or the same response as other ESCs (usually the larger the better)

So how to make it better?

Step 1: Strip it naked. See photo below.

... remove the cover

... remove the heat plate (better to locate the ESC under prop wash to run cooler, see below)

3691280569?profile=original

Step 2: Right-Size the bullet connectors or wires (see above where heavy wires are replaced by 2mm bullets)

... remove the large bullet connectors or wires

... replace them with ones that are the most net-lift efficient (where heat loss = weight loss)

Step 3: Seal the ESC. Seal it with Electrical Sealant to protect from moisture and conductive dust

... tape or plug connectors and wires

... repeatedly spray each side from different angles

... a mistake i made was not sealing the bullet connectors and solder

- don't tape them off like i did

- insert a male connector into the end of bullets so sealant doesn't get inside them

3691280655?profile=original

Step 4: Locate ESCs under Prop Wash. See photos below. The turbulence generated by the prop does not adversely affect lift when the ESC is placed on edge to the prop wash.

... Use something non-conductive like hot glue to bond the ESCs to the motor mast or spar

... Face the FETS (the little square warehouses or Fire Emitting Transistors) to open air

... Protect the ESCs from below from ground contact (not needed here because of clearance)

back-side with hot glue

3691280584?profile=original

front-side with FETs completely exposed to open prop wash

3691280749?profile=original

Step 5: Tie up wiring. Use dental floss to secure wiring away from the prop.

***Note: The T-motor Air 40 in high-timing mode (an option) generated higher thrust, but at the sacrifice of efficiency and motor temp. Also, the T-Motor Air 40 was 2nd best and close in performance. If you are using an Air40, it probably isn't worth switching.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Forrest check out miniquadtestbench.com. A lot of good data there though geared to the smaller fpv quads. His testing methods are pretty neat. All automated and data logged. The hobby wing Xrotor pro 40a have been doing really good for me on a heavy lift octo.
    • MR60

Thanks for the site reference. Read through their test procedures and equipment. I'll contact him directly. Noticed that he hadn't tested the above ESC, but what he is doing is excellent and on the right track.

I've wondered if we should create a standard test lab to help accelerate improvements in technology. Sort of like Consumer Research except for drone equipment. In that way, a manufacturer and consumers will know how their equipment compares and what equipment is performing the best. If they know what works the best, they can take it apart and figure out how to make it better.

• @Forrest,

Every month I test tons of home appliances, electrical equipment, computer, RTV equipment, sat, LED bulbs, LED  , tablets, laptops, bluetooth keyboards, solar chargers, shiatsu massagers, micro drones,  laptop batteries, LED monitors, hard disks, PC mainboards, solar panels, heat pipes

and every year more and more,  thousands, millions of

goods items imported from Asian manufacturers to Europe.

Million+ tons of electrical equipment imported get damaged, faulty within

just few months of use, operation.

UK, Germany implemented  easy money back or replacement standards,

other countries request consumer to contact service and wait 2-3 weeks for a repair.

In case of electronic equipment imported directly from Asia, Alibaba, Aliexpress,

subject to free delivery, it makes no sense to sent faulty equipment to the manufacturer, since shipment is not free and it takes 2 months to get replaced equipment back.

I have set up Open Technology Park and  Open Fab Lab (Open Fabrication Lab)

since making new highly innovative market products you can make pocket  money.

Consumers don't seek protection by third parties since Internet provides peer-2-peer

direct contact (excluding lawyer).

Manufacturer from Asia is busy to process hundreds recall requests via Internet.

It takes one year to design and prototype a new product

and it takes another year to manufacture it and make any money.

If I buy 100 LED bulbs directly from a manufacturer, having established sales office in Europe, claiming 40,000 hours of happy operation, I am sure, 10 get faulty within first months.

10 years ago, Germany claimed, every faulty electrical equipment is subject to

recycling. Today faulty goods are packaged into large packs and sold to traders in damaged goods.

Last year Germany sold millions of replaced 10-year old 50w solar amorphous panels world-wide at pocket money.

I can support your project with my Open Technology Park.

Generally speaking, manufacturers from Asia are interested to sell as much as possible products at the highest price.

Drone parts, drone equipment retail, wholesale traders from Europe move from

DIY market to  DJI drones, off-the-shelf drones since number of DIY developers

has reduced greatly within last 7 years due to global financial and economic crisis.

So if you can afford, you have DJI drone of-the-shelf, 

otherwise you build your DIY drone on yourself, as in early years of PC computers,

assembled DIY at home.

I am afraid DIY drones market to get reduced by 90% soon under new legislation

to make drone pilot legally accountable for damages

and open air space is traded among commercial drone operators, parcel delivery

services, so DIY developers can get reduced to closed spaces like in US at AMA ressorts.

The only way to contact manufacturers is at open fair, expo trades.

But I can assure youm, they exactly know what works better and how to build better PCB boards.

But to sell electronic, mechanical equipment intended for DIY market you have to cut your price to survive.

• Great idea :D

• This is Diy world Darius, all we do is our own risk. Buy a Solo to fly safe under your country laws.

• @Forrest, I don't buy your philosophy. What is offered on the market is pretested ESC product, manufactured to meet standards. What you offer and claim to be "Worlds Best ESC" is just your idea, subject to tests and approval if standards are met. Opinion by 3M could give us deeper insight into your proposed solution to be fit or not fit in case of Electrical insulation sealer for: Indoor use vs. Outdoor use, exposure to UV, exposure to ozone, exposure to moisture. Generally, electronic boards (PCB) are not built with bare bullet connectors for outdoor use, so

• MR60

Those that think and do not create are like clouds that do not give rain.

Generate the data. Call 3M. Ask for permission. Make your own decision. If you think warmer ESCs are better, that is your choice.

• Hi,

how could I get wiring scheme for the above ESC ?

Electrical insulation is common with computer mainboards.

Not sure about bare bullet connectors and wires exposed to gusts and vibrations from propeller.

I would suggest to contact every manufacturer of ESC board to get written approval for the above procedure.

In case of drone crash due to problems with ESC, wiring, short circuit, the developer is lost with compensation claims.

Remember please, that under new model drone aircraft registration legislation by FAA, the developer is accountable for the experiments not approved by original manufacturer of ESC and other electric parts, boards installed on the drone.

In case of a single motor's failure in midair, ESC gets no cooling, the same for damage of the propeller.

@Forest

before your technology enters into manufacturing phase I would suggest you to contact 2-3  genuine manufacturers of ESC boards to get advice and run a number of tests.

BTW

Did you contact 3M about your advised use of this electrical sealant ?

from pdf

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xm...

"

3M(TM) Electrical Insulating Sealer 1602-R, Red 12/16/14 10.3. Possibility of hazardous reactions Hazardous polymerization will not occur.

10.4. Conditions to avoid Heat 

BTW

ingredients are highly toxic and cancerogenic

"

"

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xmx_Um821ov70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--
    • MR60

The pilot always takes full responsibility. Because of damage incurred in a crash, liability cannot be traced to the builder or designer. So as a pilot, carry good insurance, make decisions based upon data you trust, and fly with 3 degrees of fault protection.

No ESC mfg will take liability for a ship failure. If their ESC blows in mid air, it is impossible to prove that it was the mfg's fault. Did the pilot fly into a bird that stopped the prop and cause the ESC to overheat and fail ... i think you get the picture. If your ESCs are getting hot, don't be an idiot. Fix the problem. As the pilot, it's your fault.

The ESCs on my applications run cooler when naked and exposed to open air. That means they are less likely to fail and thus safer.

Also, read the MSDS on the 3M product. All of the issues raised above pertain to the process of applying the silicone sealant from its aerosol can, not to the finished product which is chemically stable. Read the MSDS on an aerosol can and it reads the same. This product is safely used world wide. Read directions. Apply in a vented area ...

This reply was deleted.

Activity

Neville Rodrigues liked Neville Rodrigues's profile
Jun 30
Santiago Perez liked Santiago Perez's profile
Jun 21
More…