Y4 Tricopter setup??

I couldn't see Y4 setup in arducopter wiki. Is it possible to set up a Y4 with APM 2.0? ( Y4 is a tricopter with 4 motors and w/o servo)

Thanks and regards.

Zafer Turkeli

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• thanks for letting me know - feeling pretty confident about what I've plugged in so far using the original set of changes you added plus some stuff I had to add and modify or that is missing to work in 3.2rc4.

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how the coax tail is supposed to react to YAW input, and the same goes for the front too motors. I remember reading a discussion on how Multiwii handles Y4 and about how there is some roll mixed in when yawing to compensate for a drop in altitude.

However:
            I did a dry run with no props on to ensure everything is responding correctly to the controls.

I believe the motor mix code makes sense on paper and in practice (without props) seems to work too, however I'm not sure if the front two props are supposed to slow down or speed up or not when I yaw input. 

I guess the only real test will be hover

Cheers for help so far

• Hmm actually alot missing to get it fully flashable in 3.2, so plugging up all the holes now and will test later today

• I hacked together a quick patch (against the current master branch), it is just a Y6 frame with two motors removed. It at least compiles, but I have no idea if it flies... I don't know if it requires some compensation for the fact that there are two motors in one corner, but only one in the others. I'm considering building a Y6, if so it would be easy enough to try this out as well. Good luck to you if you dare to try it out. ;)

Motor setup is like the Y6 but with motors 3 and 5 removed, and the remaining ones renumbered 1-4:
    1 - Front right, CCW
    2 - Front left, CW
    3 - Tail, CW
    4 - Tail, CCW

y4.patch

• No, not for v-tail at all.

I like to know if Y4 set-up is possible with APM. People always talk about their tricopters' servo related "yaw" problems. With many other flight controllers Y4 set-ups are available. (May be it is already in AC, which I don't know yet :) ) 

This is the one I am talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1aYpbSSRcY

• think you are looking for v-tail not Y4??

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/need-to-get-apm2-to-work-on-thi...

This reply was deleted.

Activity