Best DIY Multirotor for Agricultural use?

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of reading around the use of UAV's for Agriculture, a lessons learned by 3DR staff related to the agricultural use of UAV's (http://robohub.org/ten-lessons-for-farm-drones/) basically said that multi rotors would be a more favourable option compared to fixed wings due to various reasons.

Multirotors come at the cost of endurance, i would really like to get some views on currently what would be the best DIY multirotor frame etc within the $1000 range that can carry a basic canon camera converted to gather NDVI images and use this in a third world country where there aren't many regulations around the usage of this technology.The goal would be a combination of basic capability of collecting NDVI images with a DIY camera with maximum endurance to maximize coverage.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks DU,

Based on your advice i guess ill go the Mobius route ....and when im done crashing and figuring things out ill go with the canon....in the meantime ill read up etc about the CHDK etc and try to setup a Canon with the CHDK script ...no flying with it!...the goal is to have a skywalker + APM with a Canon for mapping...and then Later on NIR etc.

Thanks again!

• For later reference here is the list of compatible canon cameras.

List

• Thanks Guy...im thinking of getting a used SX260 later on once im proficient with the bixler and Mobius...for me the goal is a Canon +Skywalker +APM = Mapping 

• Canon S100 is cheap.

Steps for CHDK Steps

Depending on your camera version you may not be able to perform CHDK the Firmware Upgrade method and will have to use the alternative.

Second set of steps just in case.  Wiki Steps

Flightriot.com
    • Thanks Guy!...im all set now for learning phase 1 !...you guys are great !

• Excellent !...exactly what i was looking for! :)

Bixler will be ordered..and steps will be followed!....i really appreciate all the comments and advice!

• I'm still asking the exact same question. Zephyr or skywalker. Drone university is right on the money. However in my case I wanted to leap right in and ignored all the best advice. The skywalker is a forgiving platform and is easy to fly. Do not underestimate this platforms sturdiness and it is remarkably easy to fly. Endurance of 1 hour is easily achieved and what I like best is it flies relatively slow compared to a wing. Mind you I haven't flown a wing yet but the faster speed puts me off. I do enough damage at slow speed. As far as damage goes my skywalker has taught 3 pilots to fly and is still flying after numerous crashes. One was nose in full throttle from 260 feet. You can't tell by looking at it now.

generally I'm trying to fly at the slowest possible speed so I can take the clearest photos with the most overlap. For a beginner like me it took quite a few attempts to get the chdk script right as well as getting the camera settings right. Let alone build a plane and set up an autopilot and also learn to fly. Therefore slow airspeed was very helpful. Mind you if I could find an airframe that could fly even slower carrying my camera gear and give me 1+ hour endurance and be relatively cheap I would buy it. Suggestions would be very welcome.

Hence my interest now in a quad. Again endurance is a big issue, but I'm sure this will come with time. I want to fly slow.

The zephyr2 in my opinion looks great and still on my list, but what stops me from getting a wing at this stage is the speed they need to fly at. I can't see how they can be optimum if you are trying to map a few hundred acres with current point and shoot cameras and consistently take sharp photos. I'm just starting to get it right with a skywalker. So far the best camera speeds we have achieved with a canon sx260 is about 2.5 seconds between shots. I'm just still learning but nothing is more frustrating then having to fly mission 2 or 3 times to get the data you need. I would like to repeatedly do it once and get it right. In my mind that means fly as slow as possible.

Like you I see that there are many wings used successfully for mapping so it can be done, but I just don't have the expertise yet or the confidence that I can set it up right to reliably get the same photos I can with my skywalker right now. But as soon as I master this beast, wing here I come.

This has been my approach and so far it seems to be working for us. As a betting man I would say in 12 months time we will have a skywalker, a wing and a quad using the right tool for the right mission profile. I can honestly say steep learning curve but what a blast. Without this community I could never have achieved this within this timeframe or tight budget. On this site dreams can really come true and you meet some remarkable people.
      Cheers
    • Thanks Branson,

I'm in the same boat as you were it seems!..i guess if that's how robust the skywalker is thats what im going to go for...i have a small flying wing and can fly it..i practiced a lot on similators...and actually could fly it....again issue is its too fast...the time to correct any mistake is small..and they stall quick and drop like a rock.

With your comments im sold on the skywalker...however i will get a bixler etc as advised by drone university...dont worry about the quad..i started from a scratch with one...easy ...just get a lot of cheap propellors when you start out...thats what i was advised...and ive gone through a LOT of them !!

Once again, ill keep in touch and keep asking..learning !...this is a great community!

Have you started processing the images you collect ?

+1 for the Bixler

• I agree with most here, you will need both. But it also depends on what kind of agriculture industry you are planning on working. I currently work one winery with my 3DR X8 and it provides all the coverage that is required for the client. All the planting rows vary in direction based on the slope that they are planted, so each individual set is a separate flight for the X8. Here is a mosaic of the winery I am currently under contract with to express my point. If you are working flat corn field land, for example, the wide area coverage of a plane platform would suit your needs more efficiently.

3702821974?profile=original

This reply was deleted.