Allowed frequencies for UAV in Brazil

Hello,

I would like to fly with my drone in Brazil but I have never been in the country before and I don't speak Portugese so it's hard for me to find information about the allowed frequencies for drones. I'm interested in these frequencies : 433 Mhz, 915 Mhz, 1.3 Ghz, 2.4 Ghz, 5.8 Ghz

Please if you have some relevant information about frequencies, max. range, power restrictions, certification etc. let it share here. If I fly under 100m AGL, is there any restriction to fly (no airports obviously) ? Is the beyond-visual-line-of-sight allowed ? Does anyone care ? Any fines or problems with ANAC if I break rules ?

Thanks !

Michal

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• More some details.

433 and 915 frequencies are open to use for everyone, since the power transmission is around 50mW.

Frequencies of 1.2, 1.3, 2.4, 5.8 Ghz can be used too since they are following some power and range limitations.

• Oh thanks, that sounds great then ! I will omit 433 and use all the remaining ones, just to be safe. But do you have some details about the power/range limitations for all remaining frequencies ?

Thanks ! Anyway great news indeed !

• I will search for you and I will update this post with more details ok ?

• Yes please.

• I have heard that Brazilian border control is apprehending drones and transmitters without  ANATEL label so its a risk to bring it with you through the airport...

• Sh.. That's bad news.. I hope we can figure out some way..

• first of all, are you going to use it for comercial purposes or just hobby fpv flying? second, do you mind breaking some rules?

the fact is, the use of drones is not yet really defined here, some people say its gray area, but it is actually prohibited. the only operation allowed is for hobby, up to 400ft (120m), in line of sight and on clubs approved from cobra, and you also have to be associated with cobra and that club in particular.

but no one really cares if you don´t follow those rules, as long as you don´t put anyone in risk. specially other aircraft that may be flying on the area. but if you are selling the photos taken with the drone, you may have problems later.

now, the hard part is radio regulation. you can´t have any rf equipment in Brazil that doesn´t have the Anatel label, and they really are monitoring the borders. if you have lucky you can get in with whatever you want, but if someone verify that equipment, its most likely that all you stuff will be in the hands of the government, and that would take ages to be sent back to you.

one possibility is to buy all the rf equipment in Brazil, so you cross the border without any non-regulated radio. but again, not sure what you are doing and if that is a good option.

just to make it clear, you can fly, no one is watching, but it is prohibited. if you hit someone, or even whorse, crash to a manned airplane, you are screwed. and also anatel can keep you equipment on the borders.

• Hi Michal,

Here in Brazil we have an agency called Anatel - like your FCC.

For 433 and 915 MHz frequencies, max allowed transmission power must be 50mW and all your equipments must have approved by this agency. In true I don't know the equipments approved - I have my setup all chinese equipments and I always flight outside the city and I don't had yet any problem but what kind and where you will flight? What equipments do you have in your setup?

Regars

• Well, for 1 day of flying under 100m AGL outside the populated areas I need approval ? Sure, ridiculous..

My setup is not done yet but I will use several of there frequencies. I just need to know if any of those listed are banned. Anatel is completely in Portugese, so no use for me. I'm sure there are hundreds of drone users in Brazil and noone cares about these things ? Btw. I'm not from the US but it does not matter..

Thanks anyway.

• Hi Michal,

you don't need a approval - now we are discussing about the necessity of a special kind of license for pilots and etcs - but still on first stages.

What need be approved is your equipment. Some equipments you can buy in local marked are approved by Anatel - passed on tests and they approved this equipments.

How I told you, in my case, all my setup doesn't are approved but I fly and until now I hadn't problems - but I know about persons was flying on midtown and local police has take their equipments to "check" and how wasn't approved by Anatal - the equipments was taken.

Sorry, I was thinking you was from US - sorry.

This reply was deleted.