LUASS / EuroUSC

Has anyone got any experience of the EuroUSC LUASS Basic National UAS Certificate - SUA as a route to commercial accreditation by the CAA for aerial work?

I am looking at getting the certificate but not sure whether it will be valuable to do the 2 day ground school, or if this will simply be dry powerpoint presentations of the handbook content.  

If anyone has previously attended the ground school it would be good to hear if you thought it was worthwhile for networking and information from experienced LUASS operators and manufacturers, or if it was a waste of time before a box-ticking multi-guess exam...the scenarios I imagine could describe it.

Also interested if having a nailed down and approved airframe and documentation/flight manual for the ground school would be useful or not.

Regards

Pete

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Peter

I was also considering this but I'm not particularly academic, more hands on, was it all straight forward? Any advice would be much appreciated as it's a lot to outlay for me.

Cheers

Steve

• Hi there,

I've got a BNUC and been through all the hoops. If you want to earn money from flying RC aircraft this is classified as Aerial Work and you need an approtiate license to do so. I've spoken to the CAA and the only one they recognise now, to my knowledge, is the BNUC. They used to take BMFA certificates way back which led to grandad rights but that's been phased out.

The BNUC and Euro USC framework gives a face to all the aerial work guys in a UK. The folks over at Euro USC are great to deal with and are fighting our corner :)

The groundschool test is a general thing, it covers a bit of aviation law, a bit of operating UAS' and a bit of common sense. It's not difficult to pass The flight test is also OK, you're asked to do a mock filming job and at certain points in the test you're asked to avoid simulated incursions such as other aircraft, people etc. You also have to demonstrate your faiilsafe works by flipping a switch or turning the tranny off.

Btw I'm an aeromodeller of over 10 years and now do aerial film in film/TV. Recently I've filmed on Restoration Home. The reality is that it wasn't anything I expected, yes there is a technical element to building, flying and maintaining the multicopters but of more importance from the clients point of view is the camerawork and cinematography. For that you need a decent cameraman who has experience and knows what they're doing. It really does make a difference if it's motion images you're capturing.

My work is certainly not fuelled by money! The people I work with don't have an RC background but they've gone to a lot of effort to learn and understand multicopters :)

Resource UAS is new to me so can't comment on that, but it looks like it could only be a good thing.

Any questions fire away

Yes you do not need a BNUC per say, although I think now they are only accepting this qualification? I do not have a B-NUC nor would I want one.. I know people that have zero experience or aptitude for flying pass in less than a month of buying a ready built and flown quad and still have zero knowledge on how it all works or how to fly it without position hold etc, I dont think this is good in the long run and will lead to accidents and tighter regulation. Alot of the people trying to fly for commercial reasons.. Aerial photography etc are fueled by money and have no real intrest in the equipment or how it works, mind you these people will slowly fade away once they realise the true nature of the job and the skills you need that are built up over many years.

Hi Peter, I haven`t attended their school so I couldn`t tell you for sure what to expect? You cannot buy an approved airframe and manual, you must write all of that stuff yourself after gaining your certificate and then submit that to the CAA  and they will approve the machine and you as the pilot if all is well?

This reply was deleted.