3+km HD FPV system using commodity hardware

Hi

Over the last couple of months I have been working on a project that might be of interest to you: https://befinitiv.wordpress.com/wifibroadcast-analog-like-transmission-of-live-video-data/

Basically it is a digital transmission of video data that mimics the (advantageous) properties of an analog link. Although I use cheap WIFI dongles this is not one of the many "I took a raspberry and transmitted my video over WIFI"-projects.

The difference is that I use the cards in injection mode. This allows to send and receive arbitrary WIFI packets. What advantages does this give?

- No association: A receiver always receives data as long as he is in range

- Unidirectional data flow: Normal WIFI uses acknowledgement frames and thus requires a two-way communication channel. Using my project gives the possibility to have an asymmetrical link (->different antenna types for RX and TX)

- Error tolerant: Normal WIFI throws away erroneous frames although they could have contained usable data. My project uses every data it gets.

For FPV usage this means:

- No stalling image feeds as with the other WIFI FPV projects

- No risk of disassociation (which equals to blindness)

- Graceful degradation of camera image instead of stalling (or worse: disassociation) when you are getting out of range

The project is still beta but already usable. On the TX and RX side you can use any linux machine you like. I use on both sides Raspberrys which works just fine. I also ported the whole stack to Android. If I have bystanders I just give them my tablet for joining the FPV fun :)

Using this system I was able to archive a range of 3km without any antenna tracking stuff. At that distance there was still enough power for some more km. But my line of sight was limited to 3km...

In the end, what does it cost? Not much. You just need:

2x Raspberry A+

2x 8€ wifi dongles

1x Raspberry camera

1x Some kind of cheap display

Happy to hear your thoughts/rebuild reports :)

See you,

befinitiv.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I decided to move to Beagle Bone Black for two main reasons:

My needs require a minimum of 4 UART's and multiple GIO for my specific mode functions

I do not need the Graphics processor included in the Raspberry Pi

Thanks for the earlier assistance, guys

• Best of luck Kendall.

Keep us posted on your project.

Cheers

• Thanks, I will

Now, I need to find a Debian,Ubuntu,gStreamer,firmware,network guru to do my bidding

Know any?, I'm hiring

Actually, if someone has these skills, has the time and want's to be involved... I'll supply the hardware, real US Benjamin's and willing to share the Intellectual Property...just PM me

"Befinitive" you available?

• Have you looked at Teradek's products? The latency should be pretty low. Probably cheaper and more reliable than trying to come up with your own solution.

• No, I have not, do you have a link?

I just found them... the long range version on only rated at 1/2 mile

I need 50 miles and control besides nRT HD Video

I am not worried about the cost, within reason. I need reliability

• So you're not going to do digital FPV, but for some reason it is relevant that you are going to use BBB?

• Sure, I have no choice but use Digital video, but what not use an IP camera with better optics and imagers then bypass the latency in the USB bus or the ACK,NACK in the ETH0

Befinitiv's very elegant "wifi broadcast" will be much more efficient and emulate an analog broadcast..eliminating the dreaded digital blue screen.. I think it's the cats ass, actually

Then again, what do I know ;P

This reply was deleted.

Activity