Hi!

I've been searching around the forums and I am still stuck with something I could really use some help with.

The APM I am using came off of an old 3DR quad and I did try the PID settings without any luck.

Recently I bought one of these 3DR DIY kits and I am using the following:

3DR APM 2.5 w/external compass/gps (trace cut on APM board)

3DR 880Kv black motors

QBrain 4x20A ESC (all calibrated)

3S 5000mAh liPo battery pack

10" APC Props from 3DR

The apm was on an older 3dr quad, so I reset everything to factory defaults. I also upgraded to the latest non-beta firmware I think it's 3.14.

I have balanced the props & motors, calibrated the accel and compass. The problem I am having is that I cannot seem to get basic PIDS tuned right, the defaults make it oscillate rapidly, I tried tuning down various gains going by this guide here http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/arducopter-tuning-guide?id=705844...

I don't know if that guide is still valid but I cannot get my quad in the air without losing control.

Does anyone have some basic PID settings I could at least start with? 

Views: 2004

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well after trying to figure out why I couldn't adjust the gains with my radio I forgot that you have to set the min and max for it (mine would go from one extreme to the next), now that I got that going i'm starting to get there, but the settings just don't look right. I can now basically fly, but it's all over the place...

Attachments:

Something is not right, I spent the entire day trying to tune this, I now have it at a point where I can fly, and I tried auto tune, which never completes because I cannot get more than 6 minutes of flight time? Battery packs are fine, something maybe with the qbrain 4x20 ESC? 

The packs are pretty warm when I land, I let them sit until they cool down before charging them, am I supposed to be using 4S or something here? 6 Minutes of flight time is pretty short.

Anyone??

Someone correct me, but I am starting to think I should be using a 4S battery pack, looking at the 3DR store, they use the same black motors, same size props, but I just noticed they are using 4S packs for the quad as well as the other kits, might be why I am having the problems I mentioned above......

I ended up changing to a 4S 5000mah battery pack and re-doing the pids, this time it was much quicker and it has a TON of power, to the point where I was having a difficult time holding it which I adjusted the gains, tomorrow we'll see what happens.

How did it go? I also am having a lot of issues with the new 2014 x4, I added Tarot Gimbal and FPV gear and I find after a few seconds in the air I am at max throttle and it is still touching .he ground. I think it weighs a lot more than the 2013.

Been trying to tune my quad for about two weeks now, its getting there, have you tried to tune the quad with a pot on your transmitter?

Maybe its all the hot weather we are having but there does not see to be much help on the forum.

John 

Hi!!

Unfortunately yesterday was too windy so I wasn't able to try it out. From the guide on tuning this by hand I can tell you at least to me it feels "right" running 4S instead of 3S. With the 3S it really doesn't take any effort to hold on to the quad when tuning, the 4S you have to hold on a lot more.

This is definitely heavier than the 2013 3DR quad, but I like the fact that there's actually room to mount other things(maybe a bit too much room). I also noticed the battery straps were way too big, maybe that's 3DR trying to tell me to get a HUGE battery pack?

Hopefully today I will get a chance to test this out and I will report back.

Hi!

That's where i've been stuck trying to tune my quad with the pot on my TX, I really think that this has to use the 4S packs instead of the 3S packs, hopefully today I will have better results...

Here is what support told me "The only difference in electronics on the 2014 would be the 880kV black motors replacing the earlier 850kV blue motors.
Also i would point out that for the 2014 model, a 6000mAh is (recommended) rather than the 4000mAh that was perfectly fine with the 2013 model." 

Well at least that would explain the monster battery straps the included with the kit :)

By chance would you know if they  recommending 3S or 4S on a 6000mAh pack??

Thanks

I am assuming 4S https://store.3drobotics.com/products/4s6000-lipo-power, but I will confirm. Yeah, I was also wondering about the monster straps, :-D I like the velcro idea.

Yeah those straps are definately too big, just to test out with my 4s 5000mAh pack I had to wrap the battery in 1/2" soft foam and even then it was close....

Waiting for the wind to die down so I can test this....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service