3DR IRIS With FPV Kit Issues NEED HELP

Ok, so I just had my first test flight with my Iris with my new FPV system. A list of my components can be found below. I started by loading the parameters from AP Flight planner to adjust for my gimbal and go pro. Took IRIS to the park and there we went. I soon noticed IRIS was not achieving her usual altitude height. I thought this was strange but kept on. Around 9 minutes in, she just started falling, not free falling but losing altitude too fast. I tried switching out of loiter mode to manual and every other mode possible. Crash! She hit the ground. Luckily, I was only over a park field and only one gimbal leg broke. Everything else seemed fine. I still had video connection, OSD settings were on display, green light was flashing for GPS signal, so I wasn't too worried. I zip tied the leg back on and tried to take off again after a safety check. I accelerated the throttle and Iris would not get off the ground. I was going to try replacing the battery with a fresh one but rain set in. I don't think it will help but hopefully it will. Either way it doesn't give me an answer to my problem. Why did she come down so fast and without warning? This actually happened to me one time when before I even had any of my new components for the FPV system. 3DR has been no help. Does anybody have any ideas I could trouble shoot? 

3DR OSD board

3DR gopro cable

3DR video transmitter

Tarot Gimbal with go pro hero 3+

2 cell liPo battery for video transmitter

The OSD board is attached to the right of the Pixhawk (not touching any other components) 

My video transmitter is on the underside of the back right leg antenna down

2 cell battery is on the bottom of the battery door

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/11/chris-anderson-leaving...

Busted for plagiarizing Twice.
            nice
          • I hear ya... I just wanted an awesome drone for aerial filming and I thought the Iris would be the best choice. I blame myself for not doing enough research and trusting their website. I feel the Iris is more of a toy and a great intro drone but for anything FPV I think I'll have to upgrade to the X8 if I can't figure something out. I'm not really interested in getting as technical as some drone fliers I just want a powerful drone I can take out and not worry about and have fun and make some cool videos. 

• If you wanted to play like robot wars with quads, Iris is the heavyweight champ in the 450 size acually its the A1M1 Bradley Tank. So any other quad in a head on colision would be toast. Ugh
    • Ya not sure why it is corrupted, I connected my USB directly to Pixhawk, could not figure out how to take out the SD card. Did not use mavlink, wireless at least.

Does ditching the gimbal help? Sad, I talked to the guys at 3dr before I ordered all this equipment and all they said was it will work if I can keep the GPS from being affected.... Does the battery fence not work with the extra weight because the pixhawk does not know how to compensate? I'm OK with the shorter flight times but do you think I can trust it form falling out of the sky even within a safe 7-8 minutes?

Can't believe 3DR is selling these copters with such low performance, and no room to customize and accessorize.

• You'll  have to provide a log of the flight in order for us to able to help. 

All I can say at present is that 2S seems very under powered for a Iris with a goPro as payload.

• The 2S is only for the video transmitter. I have a 4s for the Iris itself. I was not using flight planner during the flight.

• Flights are logged on the flight controller. Does not need to run MP for logs to be saved. 

Check the AC manual for flight logging, how to check if it's enabled and who to download it from the flight controller. 

Kind regards 

• Here is my flight log. After looking at it myself a bit an I think I may have a loose propeller based on the yaw sparaticness. If you don't mind please take a look.

Crash Log 9:5:14.log

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702765291?profile=original
          • Am I reading this correct and the fail safe voltage is 10.1?

Sounds a low voltage crash landing and with all that weight on the IRIS I would be surprised if it could do more than 9-10 minutes without being dangerously low.

My QU4D did the same thing until I put in a 4S, the 3S just didn't have the juice near the end to stay up. I know you said you have a 4S but you may have pushed it too far.

What's the capacity of your main battery?
            • Apologize I WAS actually using a 3s 11.1v 3500mAh, the stock battery.

This reply was deleted.

Activity