3DR Radio - 915Mhz Newbie Question

Hey there, been on the site for a couple days just soaking in information.

Wanting to get into drones very soon!

Anyways, the question is this: If you have your drone setup for 915Mhz telemetry with the 3DR radio from

https://store.3drobotics.com/products/3dr-radio

I understand that can give you some very long ranges... along with real-time video transmission and such.

But can you actually pilot the drone manually from these long ranges? or is that radio just for the video transmission back to a ground station, autopilot, etc..?

Thanks a bunch, apologize if it should be an obvious answer!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Those radios are not for video although you can get video tx/rx in the same frequency range elsewhere. These radios are for wireless serial communication with the flight controller to send commands or receive flight telemetry data from the flight controller into apm. I'm sure you can do more with them outside of what they are being sold by 3dr for though. Just think using them for video might be a lot of hacking. Most people are moving to 5,8ghz for video transmission and keep it separate from the bidirectional telemetry data path these radios are intended for.

Make sense? Really just replaces the USB cable with a long range wireless link for flight commands and data
This reply was deleted.

Activity