3DR telemetry no longer supported by 3DR....options?

I have been using the 915mhz telemetry v2 units with my Pixhawk for a while now.  One of them is not giving the range that it used to and I need a replacement.

I varified the range with the use of my Fighting Walrus iDrone Link and one unit is getting about 100m range while the other is getting good signal to where my hexacopter is just a spec in the distance.

Problem 1:

I can not get hold of Fighting Walrus any more.  They have not answered my emails since about October of 2015.  I am assuming they are no longer active? (also no updates to their iOS app for almost a year)

Problem 2:

3DR are no longer making their 900 or 433 telemetry units. (verified vie an email to them)

"Hello Justin,

Thank you for contacting 3DRobotics customer service.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not have the Telemetry available anymore since they have been discontinued, both the 915 and 433."

I am using a Nexus 7 v2 Tablet with the Tower App (great app by the way)

Question:

Other than the $250 long range 900mhz kits (I don't need/am not allowed to use super long range) or $10 knock 3DR off kits from China (gamble as to whether you get a good one/no warranty), what options are there that are "PnP" ?

I am using a Taranis Plus TX with x8r RX and could use that telemetry but then there is no way to load missions in the field.

Thanks for input

J

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I hope so Chris.  I like your stuff.  But for now, I am going the bluetooth rout.  Wish me luck :) 

J

• Members of a tribe listen to other members of the tribe.

This is a pretty fascinating thing to watch actually from a social standpoint. You built a tribe and now that tribe feels orphaned.

Reminds me a little of RedHat 15 years ago. They abandoned their tribe.

They survived. Did fine for themselves. They embraced something new and it worked for them. Mostly.

The tribe survived and moved to Ubuntu after floundering for several years.

The part I wonder about for you personally is whether you'll like the new tribe if it works out like RedHat and Ubuntu played out.

You can also buy the on Amazon still.  There are both the 3DR Branded versions as well as 3rd party versions available.

http://www.amazon.com/Robotics-Radio-915mHz-Telemetry-Antennas/dp/B...

http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-3DRobotics-Telemetry-915Mhz-Modu...

• Be awared that majority of the clone telemetry kits does not work with the iris original telemetry tx. Hence, you need to replace the iris telemetry tx. Also the telemetry receiver for the remote radio. 

• Chris Anderson certainly knows the market and tells it like it is. You can't go against the global economic flow and expect to stay in business, so you are often changing how you do it.

As hobbyists, we must often change where and how we buy our products and put things together. While change can be difficult, it isn't long before it becomes our new norm and our new comfortable way of doing things.

That being said, the hobbyist needs to be aware of some level of technical knowledge beyond the typical consumer. As an example for this thread, the Molex picoblade connector on the HK Pilot version of the 3DR product clones differs from the DF13 connectors used by 3DR. Armed with this type of knowledge, we can plan accordingly instead of being disappointed.

One of the reasons for the success of 3DR was that normal people like myself liked the opensource system BUT they also PREFERRED to SUPPORT 3DR by purchasing from 3DR and NOT from HK, Bangood etc. As Greg says, everything fitted together with the correct connectors.

I say it like I see it. 3DR have DUMPED the very people who supported it for a long time,

I understand the "new " business model but to remove from sale the 3DR radio telemetry modules that many people rely on is a kick in the pants for active users of these systems purchased with hard earned cash in tough times.

Not everyone can drop 1500$ on a new ready to fly quad,some prefer to build.

@ mr Anderson. I have spent several thousand dollars with 3DR, dont expect that to continue if you are not going to stock the essential "building blocks" of our systems. Yes, I understand that some items have a business life.  

Sometimes the business needs to provide items for the "little people" even if they are NOT profitable in themselves. otherwise the little people will go away.  

• If you're worried about quality from other sources, you can build them from scratch yourself. All of this is open source.  Better yet, start a company that produces and sells the products you want and see how long you stay in business.  3DR would not be doing this if the diy parts were profitable.  HK makes some extremely good products and the 3DR telemetry clones are very good.

The hobby multirotor market would not be nearly where it is if it weren't for 3DR.  They are not abandoning anyone.  They continue to lead the development of the hobby and the commercial side.

• @ Dwgsparky, I too have spent a lot of $ on this "hobby", along this community's evolution/genesis, but we have to remember that as an open-source community, the hardware will evolve and change, and as such the suppliers and the sources of the equipt we use will change.  

Just as I no longer expect Jordi to still supply the original ArduIMUs, I do not fault 3DR for not carrying the same accessories as in the past, especially when I know they are still available from other vendors, some of which were the original sources of these parts.

A company changes its business model based on sales trends:  it is the shopper who ultimately decides what products a company sells, not the board of directors. (nor blog commenters)

• You should consider using the RFD900 modules.  They are high quality professional grade items from a reputable manufacturer.  RFD does not simply clone the reference design, but has advanced it. This is what I'll be moving to.

We will face a similar problem when 3DR stops producing the Pixhawk.  So far, Arsov Tech (AUAV) is looking like a good option.  And there is a splinter group working to put the Pixhawk2 design into production. 

• Admin

Hi Rob,

I use the RFD900 modules sold by Event 38 and they are a quality product.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

This reply was deleted.

Activity