3DR telemetry no longer supported by 3DR....options?

I have been using the 915mhz telemetry v2 units with my Pixhawk for a while now.  One of them is not giving the range that it used to and I need a replacement.

I varified the range with the use of my Fighting Walrus iDrone Link and one unit is getting about 100m range while the other is getting good signal to where my hexacopter is just a spec in the distance.

Problem 1:

I can not get hold of Fighting Walrus any more.  They have not answered my emails since about October of 2015.  I am assuming they are no longer active? (also no updates to their iOS app for almost a year)

Problem 2:

3DR are no longer making their 900 or 433 telemetry units. (verified vie an email to them)

"Hello Justin,

Thank you for contacting 3DRobotics customer service.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not have the Telemetry available anymore since they have been discontinued, both the 915 and 433."

I am using a Nexus 7 v2 Tablet with the Tower App (great app by the way)

Question:

Other than the $250 long range 900mhz kits (I don't need/am not allowed to use super long range) or $10 knock 3DR off kits from China (gamble as to whether you get a good one/no warranty), what options are there that are "PnP" ?

I am using a Taranis Plus TX with x8r RX and could use that telemetry but then there is no way to load missions in the field.

Thanks for input

J

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I second the RFD900. I've been using an RFD900 on the ground and cheap $15-$20 100mw radios in the aircraft and I'm getting over a mile with 90% or more RSSI quality. With RFD900 on both air and ground, you can expect 20-40km of range. I'll never need more than a mile of range anyways so I'm tickled to death that all I need for any future APM aircraft build is just a $15-$20 radio.

There is also a newer RFD900 out called the RFD900+. Apparently it is even more sensitive meaning you get even more range.

• T3

I guess I could get all the same parts from Hobbyking... but I worry about the quality.

• HK has been the most reliable clone brand, in my experience. 
      At least, as far as the inexpensive simple clones go.  I've had no issues w/ my 3dr pix/telem/gps, and no issues w/ my HK pix clone/telem/gps.  A few other random clones of each of those from other sources have failed on me, or never worked properly.. 

• I have 2 Iris + drones & go to HK when I run into a problem.  They've been great, I had some problems ordering a severed wire for my FPV from 3DR & they hooked me up.  I'm all for 3DR going the DJI route, the US could use a major export.  

• 3D Robotics

The 3DR radios were open sourced to encourage other manufacturers to make them, which worked great. They're now available from many sources at even lower prices. I like the HK version myself. 

As Francisco rightly pointed out we announced we were focusing on high-volume RTF consumer and enterprise drones (rather than low-volume DIY parts) last year. Very much part of our public strategy and the way the rest of the industry leaders are going, too. There are tons of DIY and hobby parts manufacturers out there, and the consumer choice has never been better. Open source works! 

• I've had good luck with the Hobby King versions as well after it became very hard to find the 3DR Models.

I picked Iris+ when I applied for (and got) my Part 333 Exemption almost entirely because the open model promised longevity for the platform. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

I added Solo to my Part 333, but haven't purchased one yet. There are just so many in that capability category and price range.

• 100KM

Has anyone else noticed that it is getting harder and harder to order do it yourself drone parts from 3DR?    The 3DR web site is actually making it hard to order a collection of autopilot parts for an autopilot.     

The 3DR web site used to make it easy to select an autopilot, GPS, radio, power monitor, etc.   I suspect that it has become so hard to order do it yourself autopilot parts that people are going elsewhere.    I cannot imagine what 3DR is thinking to discontinue the 3DR radios.   They were even pretty competitively priced.

• 3DR is changing from a DIY shop to a consumer shop like DJI.

Nevertheless now there are many shops were you can get all and more of what 3DR use to sell.

• Hi Paul

I have heard rumors last year that 3DR are going to change from a DIY shop to something similar to DJI, but it looks like those rumors were true.

I feel like a Mushroom....being kept in the dark and fed sh.t!

Regards

Michael

This reply was deleted.

Activity