3DR telemetry no longer supported by 3DR....options?

I have been using the 915mhz telemetry v2 units with my Pixhawk for a while now.  One of them is not giving the range that it used to and I need a replacement.

I varified the range with the use of my Fighting Walrus iDrone Link and one unit is getting about 100m range while the other is getting good signal to where my hexacopter is just a spec in the distance.

Problem 1:

I can not get hold of Fighting Walrus any more.  They have not answered my emails since about October of 2015.  I am assuming they are no longer active? (also no updates to their iOS app for almost a year)

Problem 2:

3DR are no longer making their 900 or 433 telemetry units. (verified vie an email to them)

"Hello Justin,

Thank you for contacting 3DRobotics customer service.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not have the Telemetry available anymore since they have been discontinued, both the 915 and 433."

I am using a Nexus 7 v2 Tablet with the Tower App (great app by the way)

Question:

Other than the $250 long range 900mhz kits (I don't need/am not allowed to use super long range) or $10 knock 3DR off kits from China (gamble as to whether you get a good one/no warranty), what options are there that are "PnP" ?

I am using a Taranis Plus TX with x8r RX and could use that telemetry but then there is no way to load missions in the field.

Thanks for input

J

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is a good point.  3DR Pixhawk (or whatever comes after?) combined with HK Radios?  And then maybe source the cables to connect them all together from Ebay?

Consider this pure speculation, since I am completely out of the loop, but I think what might happen is a shift away from these telemetry radios, towards WiFi for both control and telemetry.  Basically just as you see on the Solo.

It has some pros and cons.  

There will always be a need for a long range option, and RFD will be there.

• Good point. I actually use an RFD900 on the ground and use it for both telemetry and control. Have 100% success so far without any issues. Arducopter/arduplane is so dang reliable now, I have enough faith in it that I no longer use RC receivers onboard my aircraft. Altitude hold (arducopter)and FBWA (arduplane) are now my manual flight modes in case I have issues in the air.

I don't have good video demonstrating it, but here's a friend flying one of my arduplanes with an xbox controller (through an RFD900):

Video

• Chris, really amazing.

Would you have some links/tutorials on how to implement flying over rfd with xbox controller ?

Thanks in advance

• Hi Paul,

All the info on how to do it is online in the wiki (this is how I learned):

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/flying-with-a-joystickgamepad-inst...

One of these days I'll be sure to document better video of how well it works.

• Chris, thanks for the link, never noticed this wiki

• 3D Robotics

Paul, that works right out of the box. Both Mission Planner (Windows) and APM Planner (Mac) support game controllers, and I use the Xbox ones myself.  Just load this driver

• Chris, thanks a lot, never came across it.....

• 3D Robotics

Sorry I wasn't clear enough: We'll continue to sell Pixhawk-compatible autopilots *and core accessories*. (GPS, radios, etc).  Overall, the wireless options in the industry are moving more towards wifi and other broadband IP-based protocols, which is what we'll focus on, but I expect we'll offer some form of compatible 915 and 433 telemetry radios as part of the pack. 

Right now we're sourcing them from another supplier (we no longer run our own factory in Tijuana), thus the temporary outage, but they'll be back

• I'm confused, are the "core accessories" going to be available? Seems odd that 3dr has been planning this for a while and nobody thought to get the new supplier up to speed a little sooner. Even the statement above is giving mixed messages. Also why would 3dr sell the autopilots and radios but no cables to connect them? Seems like people making their own or buying from eBay could be a support headache.
            • For the "time being" it seems, the answer is no.

You will have to find blogs and forum and trust the reviews of mostly unknown people and buy from other online sources.  There are some good items/reviews and there are some bad ones.

You can buy a real Pixhawk, but nothing to make it useful from 3DR.

Good luck spending your money.

J

This reply was deleted.

Activity