3DR telemetry no longer supported by 3DR....options?

I have been using the 915mhz telemetry v2 units with my Pixhawk for a while now.  One of them is not giving the range that it used to and I need a replacement.

I varified the range with the use of my Fighting Walrus iDrone Link and one unit is getting about 100m range while the other is getting good signal to where my hexacopter is just a spec in the distance.

Problem 1:

I can not get hold of Fighting Walrus any more.  They have not answered my emails since about October of 2015.  I am assuming they are no longer active? (also no updates to their iOS app for almost a year)

Problem 2:

3DR are no longer making their 900 or 433 telemetry units. (verified vie an email to them)

"Hello Justin,

Thank you for contacting 3DRobotics customer service.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not have the Telemetry available anymore since they have been discontinued, both the 915 and 433."

I am using a Nexus 7 v2 Tablet with the Tower App (great app by the way)

Question:

Other than the $250 long range 900mhz kits (I don't need/am not allowed to use super long range) or $10 knock 3DR off kits from China (gamble as to whether you get a good one/no warranty), what options are there that are "PnP" ?

I am using a Taranis Plus TX with x8r RX and could use that telemetry but then there is no way to load missions in the field.

Thanks for input

J

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The vast majority of the Solo market probably have never heard of Craig or Bigfoot.  Those that have heard of them probably understand them.  Two people, unless they have credibility, can't have much effect on a market of this size. 

My first purchase was an APM 2.0 that I fly on a self-build quad and I still have. I didn't fly for a couple of years because of other commitments so I didn't own 2.5 up.  I now also have an Iris+.   I own no other FC's than 3DR because I have had no reason to switch.

I've searched and read all that I can find on the future of 3DR, Dronecode  and any other related entity.  All of Chris A's post and Rob L's recent post have me more confused than ever.  I'm just purchasing as much quality 3DR spares as I can afford.  While there are some good clones, they are are to find among so much bad. 

The quality of 3DR gear and this site has meant that I've never needed to call 3DR for support.  I understand that there are instances like a DOA part would cause the need for a call but obviously, people are calling for support far more than I would have imagined and I can't understand that.  Except that people have been trained to want instant gratification and to do nothing for themselves to learn. 

• I agree about 3dr’s customer support. I’ve had about the best experience one could ask for from them. Contrast that to my brother who has now had not one… not two… but FIVE fly-aways with his phantoms! Each one had a gopro and a gimbal and fpv. That’s a LOT of money wasted!! No way to retrieve a log on the couple he recovered to find out what happened. No help from Dji. I watched one destroy itself while I was with him in FL. Despite the fact the battery was full and the HUD confirmed this it would not respond to throttle and dunked itself right into the salt water of the gulf. The next one just stopped spinning the motors at around 100 feet. The other 3 were too far away he has no idea what happened. I would have been done with them on the second one! Meanwhile I’m still flying the same DIY pixhawk quad I built 2-3 years ago. When the phantom is working it’s awesome it’s a fantastic gopro platform no doubt about it but between them being un-reliable and virtually non existent customer support there’s no way I’d put my money in Dji.  If anybody wants an idea of how many people have lost their phantoms look on eBay at home many tranmistters there are for sale LOL

• 3D Robotics

"Chris said they were going to try something new in enterprise that may come to fruition in 5 years." 

At this point it should be obvious that Craig is just making things up. Craig, post the evidence that I said that (which doesn't exist) or apologize and retract.  

I'm waiting.

• For those who care, some of what I am suggesting is in this video - add it to the other articles, statements here, etc.

I have quoted a small amount of it below. This is very recent (2016)

http://techcrunch.com/video/drones-drones-everywhere-with-3d-roboti...

Moving beyond the consumer to enterprise - release as a product real soon - standardizing on snapdragon.

Solo 2.0 will have these fancy technologies - 2017

How much have you raised?
                  99 million (CA) 

are you looking for more? - YES (in context it is for this commercial and enterprise newer ventures).

Market is moving toward commercial.
                  Going from consumer electronics to SAS - gonna take a lot of funding.
                  Consumer market commotitized - prices have fallen.
                  Classic Chinese manufacturing biz.
                  With the regulatory front - have to have intelligence and connected to the clound...

Next thing - how to get beyond the consumer market. This involves a cloud platform.

What market is 3DR targeted to?
                  We've always been targeted at the commercial market.

All smart companies (we could assume 3DR is one@) start in the consumer busines - but margins have collapsed. (Chris means on the consumer models that he claims he is now focused on)

Companies like our are earning our stripes in the consumer market but the plan has ALWAYS been to make this about the data, not the drones. (that is exactly what I refer to since Chris then indicates that it will be 5 years before this matures).

Do you see yourself exiting the manufacturing of drones?
                  yeah...it's gonna take maybe about 5 years before the drone market produces hardware which is sophisticated enough to take our software.

-----------------

Folks can read into that and all the various statements, facts and indicators what they will. Everyone has their opinions and lots of people are under N/D.

• 3D Robotics

Let me summarize: 

You said: "Chris said they were going to try something new in enterprise that may come to fruition in 5 years." 

In fact what I actually said was (in answer to the question "Do you see yourself exiting the manufacturing of drones?"): "Eventually, but it's gonna take maybe about 5 years before the commodity drone market produces hardware that is sophisticated enough to take our software."

I think what you meant to say above was "Sorry, I totally misinterpreted what you said and basically made up a quote to support my thesis."

Just shameless. I've seen a lot of sloppy and irresponsible reporting in my life, but this takes the cake. 

• I may be paraphrasing, but certainly not making things up. I have a memory like a.....

Now you are gonna make me have to watch those CES and other vids to find your statement - it was something like "we knew all along that consumer stuff was a stepping stone and the plan was always about the cloud, data, iot, commercial, enterprise, etc. which we are now on the path to and expect to be a very profitable market in 5 years.

If that doesn't ring a bell from one of your talks (perhaps at Autodesk?, CES?) then I will dig.

I'm as confused as everyone else because, frankly, your own statements don't even agree with your own statements. You mentioned ramping up Solo and more stuff in China. Is 3DR currently ramping up hardware production in China at Jabil? 

Anyway, this is your platform. I'm just trying to explain to those scratching their heads - that we ALL are scratching our heads. I'll do my writing mostly elsewhere but will take you up on looking for that part about how you knew all along that the consumer market was a stepping stone. That, BTW, conflicts 100% with your own web site and hundreds of statements and forecasts from 3DR.

• Harry, I am not privy to any info regarding money changing one way or the other, between 3DR and DIYD.  I believe, but could be wrong, that DIYD is owned by Chris Anderson.  And of course Chris is deeply involved in 3DR.  But I don't think there is a direct link between DIYD and 3DR?

For sure, discussion about all things droney are welcome on DIYD, always has been.  In fact, discussion amongst other autopilot groups used to occur regularly here.  AutoQuad, UAV Dev Board, Matrix Pilot, etc.

I have no idea if DIYD is in jeapordy, but I don't suspect so.  Nor is there any indication that the system-agnosticism is under threat.  It could change on a whim, however.

And I am not "dropping out".  3DR have discontinued my funding for community support. I have to find some other source of income, which necessarily means not spending as much time helping the community.  Some others may be in the same situation.  But none of us are "jumping ship" AFAIK.  We will keep doing whatever we can, as all of us got started in this out of a deep, pathological at time, passion for all things droneish.  It's not just a way to make money (which is why I think we're so good at it).  But many of us did in fact "quit our day jobs" to do this stuff full time, and we all have to eat so...

If DIYD did end, I am quite sure you would see us regroup and pop up somewhere else.  Possibly an Ardupilot-centric BBS.  Who knows.  We've come this far, we will not go quietly into the night...

(Ok, I gotta get a drama award for that post).

• Chris, Rob,

Thank you for *correct* information.  Your reassurance is gratifying.

If this <drone> obsession and the DIYD community was not so incredibly important to me, perhaps it would not matter so much.  Sorry if my post was a result of an evil daydream.

My Y6 started with one of Rusty's Frames of AGL Hobbies.   Rusty had a reality check and needed to get a day job, and closed down shortly after.  I don't think a traditional frame package with plates and tubes is even available without a "branded" name.  I was sorry to see him go.

Chris, Your work here has made this hobby possible for me.  Thank You, don't stop.  In the case of a supernova, who cares?

Rob, and all the other developers, your contributions are greatly appreciated.  And yes, you allowed to give yourself a big award for your past work, and the drama.  If an opportunity to make my living in this field presented itself, you bet I would jump in!

I don't need to buy dyi parts from 3dr.  I'm not so worried now.

A big thank you, all around.

• 3D Robotics

Harry: This site is owned by me personally (not though 3DR) and will continue to grow and thrive until the sun goes supernova (as will 3DR!). They're two separate things. 

As for Rob, do you mean Rob Lefebvre? He's one of the most active APM developers and more engaged than ever. Or were you referring to someone else?

Now that the dev teams are so big and some many projects are involved, software development is now primarily coordinated through Dronecode. I'm also the founder and chairman of that so it's all one big happy family, just distributed more than it was in the past due to the growth and maturing of the community and platforms. 

Dronecode - Building a sustainable open source ecosystem for critical Drone components
      Dronecode is a nonprofit hosted under the Linux Foundation, dedicated to fostering open-source components and their communities. Working with top dev…
This reply was deleted.

Activity