Hi,

I have received the following email from 3DRobotics last night, my Iris quadocopter was already in France, at Fedex office for a delivery at home on monday. 3DRobotics say they cancel my order and will refund me, rhis mean they will ask Fedex to send back to product to the US, why such a decision for all customers ? Why cancelling a shipement when the parcel is nearly at your home ?

Here is the email I have received from 3DR

************************************************************************************************

Thanks for your order with 3DR. We're writing to let you know that, due to a temporary change in our shipping policies, we're unable to ship orders outside of the US and Canada. We'll be cancelling and refunding your order immediately. We're very sorry for the inconvenience, and we'll let you know when we can resume shipments to your country.

If you have any questions or would like to make modifications to your order, write to us at help@3drobotics.com or call our support line at +1 (858) 225-1414, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm PST.

Sincerely,

The 3DR Team

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is not a big deal.  3.1.5 is a bug fix we need to get out, 3.2 will be back.

• A similar question. If one want to buy, say, traditional airplane/helicopter parts from a company that doesn't make autopilots.... or similarly... buy non-autopilot parts from a company that sells autopilots as well...

What's the situation there?

What a tangle. If I can buy parts from a hobby outlet, but I can't buy the same parts from a company like 3DR, isn't that sort of strange?

• My understanding is it's the actual autopilot that is the problem.  So you could export all the mechanics from the US, you just can't get the autopilot board.

The really interesting question is the legality of a hobby shop in the US exporting a DJI system.  I'd think that would be illegal for the same reason.  But lots of people doing it I'm sure.

• Well, 3DR couldn't export motors and props (min were stopped).... or maybe they are just being over careful yet it seems as though any other hobby supplier could do so.

So IF it were govt requirement, it doesn't seem to be properly applied.

• "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Robert J. Hanlon

• That's a great question Damian.  One must wonder if the US government is either:

A) Not doing a very good job investigating for manufacturers of these regulated products, which then begs the question... if some kid operating out of his parents basement in Florida can skirt the laws, then what good are the laws in the first place?

or

B) if the government favours small single-employee businesses and chooses to let them continue operating while shutting down a larger business employing many people and conducting valuable research and development opportunities.

• Hi All,

yes the ITAR  laws are a coldwar anachronism that is totally stifling innovations in certain industries that they have unlawfully tried to extend the regulations into with various approaches.

USG tried in 1991 with cryptographic software but were ultimately defeated by the first amendment, DJ Bernsteins suit again the USG..

USG then moved the regulations from the Dept of State ITAR to the Bureau of Export Admin under the dept of commerce to force folks to reacquire judicial standing that they had been harmed by these regulations and commence a new tort against the USG ,

USG then got some MORE resistance and moved the regulations to the Bureau of Industry and Security currently.

Because of court decisions open source for at least crypto is beyond their reach behind the first amendment , software in general may or may not be with the perverted ways these idiots in Washington think.

In one case down here the suppressed papers of the Office Of Legislative Counsel to the White house were acquired by the Crypto movement that stated that the lawyers actually knew these regulations flew in the face of the first amendment(that case of course went no where once the prosecution became aware that they existed).

How do I know about all of this? I was one of the earliest crypto software folks to acquire "standing" before the 9th federal district in these matters :)

hzl

ps Rob, those munchkins by the Potomac ARE malicious...

24736 and counting.. there the above should drive a few more page  views... :)

• 4 8 15 16 23 42

:-)

• Dear 3DR
    Please make a statement.
    • 3D Robotics

Hi Albert, please let me introduce myself.  My name is Vu Tran, I am the Director of Support here at 3DR.  We appreciate your patience while we work through some complex export control issues that affect the US flight controller industry.  We have reduced our international shipping in an abundance of caution while we work with the relevant authorities and hope to fully resume international shipping soon.  We will let you know as soon as we have more information that we can share on this.

This reply was deleted.

Activity