500 kg lifting Drone

Hi guys, Im new to this forum. I've been searching some informations about drones and lastly I think I found the right place. Currently I am building a quadcopter which I want it to lift more than 500 kg. I just wanna know what motors I can use in order to lift that much of weight.

I was told, a 2000watt motor maybe an electric crane, could lift more than 2 tonnes of weight. So if I want to lift more than 500 kg, do i have to see the motor watts or the torque of it? How to find out the payload that can carry by the quadcopter ?

looking forward for your response guys..

thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Sorry for BUMPing up old thread, but I'm very interested to hear how this went.

OP, is there any update on your project? I have tried to build heavy lift drone by myself, but unfortunately costs were too high. I then decided to buy some heavy lift drone on amazon, but prices are not very affordable. I hope 2017 will be the year of heavy lift drones.

7 Heavy Lifting Drones [Fall 2017 Edition] | Available on Amazon
    Have you been looking for a drone capable of lifting heavy cameras and other objects? So have we. Fortunately technology has developed to a point whi…
  • Here's some links to inspire you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L75ESD9PBOw

http://www.e-volo.com/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2622149/We-lift-First-look-...

Keep in mind that the quadcopter has to lift it's own weight, so you have to choose light weight motors, frame, and batteries. Everything has to be light weight!  You need motors made especially for flight. The one in the image you attached looks way to heavy to lift it's own weight.

The quad has to lift it's own weight plus the 500 kg, and that has to happen at 50% power / throttle, because it needs the other 50% throttle to maneuver around.

To do this, choose motors & batteries as if you are lifting 1,000 kg (1 tonne). So if it's a quadcopter, then each motor should lift itself plus 250 Kg at full throttle. This way, at 50% throttle, it will lift your 500Kg, and have enough power to move around.

Choosing the correct RPM of the motor, and the propeller size is another tricky thing... but I don't know much about that, you will have to research by yourself.

• 100kW and 500kg is without the weight of your drone . So if your drone weighs more than 500kg so it will not fly . You can build a drone with 500kg load capacity but only if you have millions to spend on R & D .

A very rough electrical estimate requirement for a quadcopter = 200 Watts/kg. To lift a big enough quad you'll need say 60kg+ of motors, (15kg+ each motor) running at 8-10KW, to lift an additional 500kg payload you'll need another 100KW. A 2.0L car engine can produce 100KW so you might be getting an idea of the power you need (and a whole engineering team and very, very deep pockets). As Michael said good luck, i.e., it's not really feasible unless you're NASA, USAF or the Военно-воздушные силы (Soviet Military Air Forces).

• A crane and a quadcopter is a totally different thing... a crane is sitting on the ground, and it has many gears that convert the speed of the motor to power the crane.

A quadcopter has to push the air down to get the lift off the ground, and it needs a lot of power to do that. For example, my F550 hexacopter, uses these motors and each one takes 286 watts, multiply that by 6, you get 1716 watts. And that it's just to lift itself up at 50% throttle, if I add another kg, or 2... it will probably need full throttle, so that means 1716 watts, and the battery lasts for only 5 to 10 minutes (depending on the weight).

So to lift 500 kg, you probably need to upsize everything by 500 times... good luck :)

This reply was deleted.

Activity