Inexpensive UAV design

Here is a simple design for those that enjoy building their airframes from scratch. This design only cost me about 30 bucks and has turned out to be an excellent performer and super stable flyer. I started off with my original design of the MRASV, but wanted to re-design it to be more easily repaired or re-built in case of damage while in the field. I decided to use 1/8th in hobby plywood and foam board. Bill of materials include: 1 aerobird xtreme wing, 2 sheets of elmers foam board, 2 blocks of 1x1 balsa, 1 roll of strapping tape and 2 carbon arrows. All materials were aquired at walmart minus the aerobird xtreme wing. Construction was simple and fast using CA for the wood parts and hot glue on the foam board..yep, hot glue.....suprisingly it works better than any other, it dries fast and bonds super strong with the foam board and balsa/ply. once the fuselage was constucted I covered it with strapping tape for added strength and durability. I have a dome camera in the nose and will be using a 500mW 900mhz AV TX. I am currently working on a power distribution system for the camera and TX so I havent flown it with downlinked video yet. I have conducted many flights using the UNAV PicoPilot NA, and since all the bugs were worked out it has been flying autonomously with no problems. The airframe is super stable and with flaps down and full elevator deflection it is capable of extremely slow stall landings. Pretty much drops down like a parachute. (will have video posted soon) The MRASV II with motor, esc, 11.1V lipo, autopilot (in enclosure) and 4.8V batt pack for GPS weighs in at roughly 4 lbs. The motor setup is capable of flying 7lbs.

P1010012.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010018.JPG

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Where did you get the dome for the camera? my design has a simulare dome, but id rather buy one, than make one my self =/
  • Some more details/prints from the construction job would have been really nice!

brakar
  • Hey Jonathan I'm building one very simular to yours. How and where did you put the servos for the two rudders?

Thanks
  • Could you please attach some instructions and dimensions about the plane. Also, how someone would go about building something like this.
    Thanks,
    Sam R.
  • amazing design, what kind of flight times do you get and where can i get that wing?
    Foster
  • Admin
    Jonathan,

There is a RCGroups thread that is designing a FUAV very much like yours:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1114839

Some pictures of the design are attached.

Regards,
    TCIII

thumb-VK_100_FUAV_12.jpg

thumb-VK_100_FUAV_13.jpg

• I want to build this from scratch. I have no idea of what all motors, wireless systems that I need to buy to build the UAV like what you did. Please help me with some more details. I want to work with my kids to get this project goinhg

Thanks
    Hanu
    Puts me very much in mind of SPADS (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs) but somewhat more elegant.

I have flown a couple of the Spad on rails and we have had no end of fun with them.

What duration are you getting out of that??

G
  • 3D Robotics
    Joanathan,

That's a terrific design and an inspiration to those of us who are shoehorning UAV electronics into commerical planes that aren't designed for them. And I just happen to have two spare Aerobird Extreme wings!

For those looking for that wing, it's $19 from Hobbyzone:
    http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/aerobird_xtreme/aerobird_xtr...
This reply was deleted.

Activity