Projects, Test flights, Airframe ideas......Anything?

I have noticed lots of emphasis on electronics/autopilots/cameras...etc. and that is great..... But where are all the airframe ideas/designs? What about current airworthy projects? Test flights? Videos? Pictures? Thoughts? There are 465 members (and growing daily) So one would think there would be a plethora of Ideas and projects being broadcast. Especially on the only website that is specifically for the DIY UAV enthusiast. Even if all you have is an Idea, or need help/advice, whatever it may be...Lets hear about it.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wow, I just started preliminary design work. Let's just say it's a good thing I already have an engineering degree.
  • I think I am going to give a go at creating an airframe with modularity and the probable 4 pound limit in mind. I'll start up a design blog within the next few weeks.
  • This might be a bit unconventional but I use Core-Cell and Fibreglass to build my planes. It is extreemly easy to use and produces a very robust yet light frame. On the good side if you crash and burn the plane is simply fixed and ready to go the next day.

Core-Cell is a boat building material that is used as a sandwich material between the hull and other places that need light weight and strength. This material comes in large sheets that you can copy your design directly on the Core-Cell sheet then just cut it with an exacto knife. Putting together the peices is really easy as is sanding it to the correct shape.

Once you have the peices together all it takes is a cover of light fibreglass fabric to seal everything together.
  • 3D Robotics
    Hey, it's winter! That's the time to solder boards and get ready for flying in spring ;-)

But I'm glad you raised this, since it is indeed a topic area that we haven't given as much weight (in part because there are so many ARFs and RTFs out there that are "good enough" already, so it feels a bit like a solved problem).

The one thing that I would love is for someone to build a kit or ARF of the classic mid-80s Pioneer UAV. It's a great candidate for foam and carbon fiber rods, or fiberglass and carbon rods. Anybody seen anything that looks like this?

• My airframe is a Thunder Tiger Raptor v2 30 Heli
This reply was deleted.

Activity