Replies

• Hi Ian

I have the same (black) ENT pnd-1575 gps system... And it wont load my maps of SA , it says that my application has expired. Could you e-mail me the maps?...I would really appreciate it!

Regards
    Hugo
    Don't buy a Rockwell Collins unit..... http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/05/21/326855/carriers-cou...
  • Hi Ian,

Have a look here less than $30 equivalent: http://www.rfdesign.co.za/pages/5645456/Products/GPS-Products/u-blo.... Just ordered all the Ardupilot stuff from the US, importing stuff from there on a regular basis, its a hobby of mine :) Can get hold of most things..... Even got grease from there as the local RSA importers are useless.
    Regards
  • I bought an PND 1575 that the sailing software didn't come.
    Could anybody copy the card SD and to send for me?
    My e-mail is marciliomarques@oi.com.br
  • I don't know what a PND ENT 1575 GPS modem is and a google search doesn't help much. If you can find a spec sheet for the unit, it would help you out a whole lot. You'll need to know if it can output standard NMEA data over a serial link or something similar. I assume the 1575 is referring to the L1 GPS frequency and not a model number. You should be able to buy a GPS module for very little money that would have specs. I'm confident South Africa doesn't have ridiculous import restrictions on simple GPS modules.

Once you have a spec sheet on your unit, it should be a simple serial command from a microcontroller to get the data, then forward it to the modem. If you can't find a spec sheet, the unit is not worth your time. Also, the Parallax Propeller microcontroller seems to be gaining popularity as an autopilot platform.

You have a very interesting application for UAVs, however I'm not very confident that a cell phone modem will work more than 50 km out to sea. You really need a satellite phone modem if you want data in real-time. There's little else on the commercial side that can work for that application. And for the price tag with the satellite modem, a new GPS module with specifications will be a deal :-)
  • You may want to look into a cell phone with a built-in GPS device. Or check out this
This reply was deleted.

Activity