sensor package

Hello,I am looking at building or buying a sensor package. Mainly I need 3 axis accelerotometers, 3 axis gyros, magnetic sensors (3 axis would be best) and an altimeter. I want to read all the data into a gumstix or similar board and then downlink the data.I can and I have built systems like that before, but looking this like a hobby, I dont think I want to spend a lot of time designing, building and debugging electronics, so is not there a not-too-pricey sensor board?I checked the specs of MNAV100CA and looks like what I need, but it is kinda expensive at $1500. There is also uav development board by sparkfun, which does include a gps, and 2 axis accelerotometer and 2 axis gyro. no altimeter nor magnetic sensing.Is there a preferable open source board that does all the things I want. which route I must go if I dont want to spend whole lot of money.Best.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• FYI, Crossbow has discontinued the MICRONAV, and is selling their remaining stock.
  • How about magnetometers (compass) There are 2 axis and 3 axis versions.

I thought to get the perfect heading one would need a 3 axis sensor provided that the uav could be in different positions.

However maybe I can get away with only 2 axis?

Have a look at:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=236

and

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=244

the first one is a 2 axis compass, where the second one is a 3 axis magnetometer.

Is there a difference between a compass and a magnetometer. Can a 2 axis compass measure north without being parallel to the ground?

Any ideas / recomendations?

Best.
  • Has anyone tried the `INS 6 degrees of freedom - with gps` from openuav.astroplanes.com - its got almost what I want with the exception of altimeter.

Best.
  • 3D Robotics
    I don't know of one with exactly what you want at under $1,000, but it's not too hard to design your own PCB and populate it with any sensor you want. Or maybe just add daughterboards to the SparkFun unit?
This reply was deleted.

Activity