AUTONOMOUS ROBOT HELICOPTER

Hello people this my first post in the forum , i needed help from you experts regarding a project which iam interested in building, i want to make an autonomous robot helicopter which can have some basic abilities for obstacle avoidance and complete flight control in autonomous modeSo i needed ur expertise to know what theries i should learn about flight and where would i find them, what sensors and microcontroller should i use , what materials to make the chassis and what software i need to make so that my helicopter can achieve these feats ..Iam an active robotist and iam familier with sensors and microcontrollers of avr series, i just wanted to expand my practical experience in robotics to flight so it will be great if you people can help me regarding my projectREGARDS JAYDEEP....

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Jaydeep,
    There are many methods out there to get into the field of robotic copters. Most are based on some form of GPS control and waypoint flying also usig a Co-Pilot infra red stability, accellerometers and gyro based IMU. Various designs exist throughout the net on different ways that people have done this. On my original system, which was pre-military UAV, it was constructed based on RC control, a simple board type video camera, a channel 16 video transmitter and a Sony GV-200 recieving the video feed on the other end. The GPS provided location data that was super-imposed on the video feed with an OSD on screen display card. Crude but effective. I later moved to the "RC Autopilot Project", on Source Forge, (a single waypoint system) and then looked to the Arduino system here.

It appears that the feedback loops that control the pitch, roll and yaw functions on a helicopter are complex enought that they are the major source of problems. Hence the IMU to control and mix these functions with active servo control.
    If you look at my post on the Value of Onboard Mixing you will see how I confronted the issue of CCPM on my own copter.
    I am flying an original Quick 30 as my base system with a 120 degree swashplate. By using an onboard mixer vs. a computer transmitter you can avoid many of the onboard interfacing problems with a full computerized system. It allows for accurate control of the CCPM mixing and rotor speed to make altitude control possible. There is also some good information on the net about modifying the ultrasoic sensor out of an old Poloroid camera to make a simple Ultrasonic Radar for collision avoidance. Another thing to consider is how you allow the copter to experience forward flight. If you are issuing comands then RC is the way to go. However, once you engage most autopilots you lose the ability to modify the flight characteristics. There are some RC circuits out there that are activated on the auxillary switch of your transmitter. Such as a pre-set servo control card where you can adjust the amount of forward travel. That is a handy circuit if you want to preserve the Arduino for other functions. What I like about the Arduino is that it works much like the older PIA's of yesterday and it also has the extra computer area to do some amazing things. The Arduino Mega looks like a great platform to begin with.
    Regards,
    Skip
    Seattle, WA
    Here.it - Crea il tuo Portale di Annunci
  • parallex processors are new to me do u think an avr running at 32mhz and 16 bit risc structure will be able to handle it?
  • 100KM
    well ok how 'bout a real answer !!
    gps modual for nav
    stabilization system (either ir sensors or an imu(gyro + accelerometer))
    some sort of rangfinder ie parallax ping of IR or even scanning laser rang finder
    as far as microcontrollers go im partial to 32bit 50mhz+ and floating point math (makes complicated formulas a lot easier

and thanks to jack crossfire for being the grammer police as usualllllll !!!!!
    ;P
  • ok ill check it out
  • Can You exactly give me the link of jack's project

Mr.Anderson what i want to do is to built a completely autonomous robot helicopter which can fly in the sky without getting itself damaged or hitting obstacles, It is pretty straight forward if i will work on this project then what exact materials ,electronics ,programming software do i need also do i need to have some basic knowledge in aerodynamics and what would be the approximate cost of making such a thing....

In short what basic knowledge i should have ...

PS:I am already an active robotist who has completed many ground robots will this knowledge of microcontrollers and electronics help me in my helicopter project???
  • what do u exactly mean cant u help me??
  • Not the easiest project, but writing it in CAPS may actually help.
This reply was deleted.

Activity