Discovery Channel's Smash Lab is developing an episode where an unmanned watercraft or GPS homing robot rescues a woman overboard. We want to partner up with someone who, best-case scenario, has an existing prototype vehicle/robot that can be adapted for our story. We want it to track and find the woman and then transport/tow her back to the boat. Request expires on June 3, 2008. Please do not contact after June 3, 2008. Serious inquiries only.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just to move more thoughts about your idea.
    If you use an old Kawaski jet ski,take off the handle,use chris,s autopilot project,remember you dont need to staberlise the unit, and hey presto you have the device you are looking for.
    Just remember to slow down when approaching the gps cords otherwise the victim will be come a corpse.
  • The cruising industry has what is know as a MOB(man overboard) device you throw into the water near the person overboard.
    This device emits smoke and light so when you can turn around you have a visual of the persons position.
    I tried to develop a gps system to be worn by pax and when they go overboard we know their gps position.
    Ha Ha then the fun started no lock due to the device been submerged and dry in wave action.
    Also lack of range of tx on device also due to wave action.
    Etc Etc

A very diffecult device to design.

Good idea about the towing of the victim.

If you need some advice in this field i will be glad to help.
  • There is a group at the University of Victoria, in British Columbia, Canada who has developed a very capable autonomous robot. More information can be found on their website http://www.auvic.uvic.ca/.

Thanks,

Neal.
  • You should talk with Alexander Rose or Reason Bradley at Inertia Labs - they have an existing robotic watercraft using GPS that was developed to survey harbors and channels - I imagine it would be a good fit for your requirement.

Inertia-Labs - micro robot parts
This reply was deleted.

Activity