GPS Help

I received my EM-408 GPS module in the mail the other day, and just now had a chance to check it out. However, so far it hasn't been working for me. Basically, the setup I have is the GPS module connected to my Arduino board, which is connected to my computer. That way, I don't have to worry about using the MAX232 chip to test it directly with my serial port. It's going to be connected to the Arduino anyway in the UAV, so I thought I might as well test it that way. I'm using an ever-so-slightly modified version of the software serial example program on the Arduino site to get data from the module: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/SoftwareSerialI had a couple of ideas about what might be wrong, but I wanted to run them by you guys. First, how picky are these devices about voltage? It's a 3.3V device, but I measured the output from my power supply (currently 2 batteries, but I'm getting a regulator), and it's a little less than 3.2V. Also, I'm tying the GPS module's ground to the Arduino ground, but could the difference between the 5V Arduino and the 3.3V module cause problems? These may just be basic electronics questions, but I consider my knowledge of electronics to be pretty basic, so I guess it fits : )Any thoughts?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• and the third pin from the top in the gps (406) socket is 5v... It isn't 3.3V ??!!
  • guys... my EM408 seems to be dead... but even the ardupilot has strange voltage levels...

• I bought the new arduino board (the red one), and the Em-408 gps module.
    So there are 5 pin on the gps and 6 on the arduino board.
    How should I connect the cable between them?!
    I got the 6 pin cable and the 5 pin cable and I want to make a 6 pin / 5 pin cable that goes from the board to the GPS

The Em406 (original project) should be:
    1) GND 2) VIN 3) RX 4) TX 5) GND 6) 1pps
    Em408:
    1) EN 2)GND 3) Rx 4)Tx 5)Vcc

I thought it may be:

1 and 5 on the 406 with 2 408, 3 on 3, 4 on 4, 2 on 5 (Vin and Vcc), and remains 6 on 1 but 1pps is a synchro signal and EN is just the on/off toggle...

please help me!!!!!
    Thanks to all !

Enrico
  • Does anyone have any idea what the component is just to the left of the cable, when the antenna is up? I managed to short the ground somewhere when trying to mount it and blew that cap/resistor/fuse whatever - I was hopeful the rest of the board was ok if I could replace that piece. Even a guess would be appreciated, mine is now too burned to see anything on it. I figure the unit is toast so no harm trying to fix.
  • 100KM
    > --it is a little funky that you're not sharing a ground between the boards.
    if this is true this could explaine your problems . everything should share a ground
  • hi
    iam also using the EM406A,and its work very well,i have made evaluation board EM406a
    any way..are u sure your RS232.initilization is setteld as 4800,8bit ,1stopbit ,parity none etc
    moreover i will send you a pcb of evaluation board for 406a
  • 3D Robotics
    A few things to try:

--try reversing the tx and rx wires. One side's rx can be another's tx, etc.
    --you're probably not using the rx-in pin on the GPS. If so, that should be kept HIGH (see documentation)
    --use this code
    --it is a little funky that you're not sharing a ground between the boards. If all else fails, wait for the proper power supply.
  • Sorry for not being more specific...I have the Vin and Enable pins tied to that 3.2V power source, and the RX and TX wires connected to the respective TX and RX pins (in this case, 7 and 6) on the Arduino. The output I'm getting is gibberish, basically the same output I get when the RX pin on the Arduino is just floating.
  • 3D Robotics
    Which EM-408 pins are you using? Are you getting any data at all?
This reply was deleted.

Activity