Barometric Altimeter

Hi everybody!Is there any barometric altimeter based on sensor like MPX4115A available, which can give the altitude data via serial comm. I tried searching but did not came across any.What do you guys think about designing one as an open source project?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks guys for showing your interest. There are two sensors which may fit our application, the freescale MPX series pressure sensors and the VTI's SCP1000. In my opinion SCP1000 is a better choice than MPX. The reason for this is that the MPX series are just pressure sensor which require low pass filter and ADC, whereas the SCP1000 is a package containing a sensor, filtering, ADC and a microcontroller for almost similar pricing($20 at digikey). Below I am giving links to information regarding SCP1000 pressure sensor.

SCP1000 Datasheet
    Test carrier PCB datasheet
    Application note describing use as altimeter
    SCP1000 sensor Digikey Part no: 551-1046-1-ND
    PCB with soldered SCP1000 sensor: 551-1042-ND
  • 3D Robotics
    The Sparkfun board is based on I2C. But I agree that serial is easier to work with, so an open source board would be a cool idea.
  • There are some around, but they're stupidly expensive. An open-source barometric altitude/airspeed computer wouldn't be too hard:
    MEMS pressure sensor -> amp -> ADC -> uC -> UART/SPI/I2C
    All the uC has to do is filtering and conversion to altitude and airspeed, an attiny 45 or something could do that.

Might get over my laziness one day...
This reply was deleted.

Activity