Newbie challenge: high altitude drop

Dear DIYDrones members,I am a total newbie so forgive me if my question is rather basic. Also, apologies for my bad English, as I am not a native speaker.I wanted to know whether the following would be feasible and at what cost, roughly speaking.1. I want to drop a small drone (a glider) from a weather balloon at approximately 30km altitude (18miles).2. The drone would be attached to a parachute with which it makes the largest part of the descent.3. Then, at a much lower altitude, the drone would begin gliding and I would need to be able to pilot it automatically to a predetermined area. This area is approximately 1 square km in size (note, the location of the drone when attached to the balloon will be monitored, so the predetermined landing area is created ad hoc, in function of this location. It is not a fixed location).4. Once it has landed, the glider emits a radio signal so it can be picked up and re-used.As you can see, this is a very broad idea, no details yet.Can anyone tell me whether this is at all feasible on a small budget and how I could pull this off - very broadly speaking.Thanks for any help!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

Exactly the project completed in 1998 by TJ Bordelon.
    His photos from the edge of space facinated me when I first saw them in all the mags back then.

His site no longer posts the exact details of his record setting balloon launches, but the details I remember sound exactly like what you are asking about.

His first launch involved a foil wrapped foam container for his equipt, but he later experimented with autonomous gliders in addittion.

http://bordelon.net/freespace.html

He detailed how he would phone for FAA clearance just as he filled the balloon and then released it above the desert.

His equipt had to survive the temp extremes of the desert and the edge of space.
  • I would be happy to help with this...but can only haul UAV's to 1200 feet with one of our tethered aerostats. We often play with paper airplane drops.
  • Guys, thanks, this is fantastic info to start with.

Please remember, non-English speakers can have difficulties finding info on the net easily, especially if dealing with technical matters. I always have to translate stuff from my tiny language into one I speak better (French) and then into English. Very difficult!

Thanks so much Hugo and Chris.
  • 3D Robotics
    This is a fun project and has been done quite a few times by others.

Here's one thread that may have some useful information for you. Here's another.

Here's a site that describes another similar project, with a lot of useful build info. I think they lost the UAV in the end, which led to an interesting search and rescue effort.
This reply was deleted.

Activity