Balloon Dropped Gliders

Hello All,I have been working on a balloon dropped glider off and on for a couple of years as time permits. The goal was to carry my glider aloft to about 60K feet and release. The glider was then supposed to navigate it's way back to the launch site taking pictures and measurement all the way.According to the amateur guidelines I can't do this because while I might be able to maintain LOS, I won't have any reliable orientation cues to take over control and it will fly above 400' (If it goes to plan).Is there a special provision for non-powered flight? The balloonsat guys use parachutes to bring their payloads back. I believe a parachute is just a glider with a crappy L/D.I'd like to hear other people thoughts on this.Thanks,Mike

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My friend Earl and I have launch his balloons with payloads up to 6 pounds. He had a terrible time with the FAA getting ready to launch - but not for the reasons you are supposing!

There are guidelines for sending up larger amateur payloads (maybe 20 pounds, not sure...) and one component is filing a flight plan notification. Of course this is not the same as an aircraft flight plan because you cant control where the balloon goes, but an advisory to let other aircraft know something might be in the area.

In preparation for larger flights, he created a plan using the same paperwork as the larger payload, but the regional FAA offices, dispatchers, controllers and office personnel he contacted did not know what to do with the paperwork! He spent 2 weeks on the phone trying to file with no success.
    and for the record, they didnt know it was for a smaller craft. What fun.

We've considered a plane payload, but its just all concepts for now...

Paul
    AREA Group
  • The trick for getting around the regulations is to pretend they don't exist in the first place.
  • 3D Robotics
    Mike,

Both the balloon and the UAV are regulated and you'll need FAA clearance for them if they're in the US national airspace. And although you're right, logically, that there isn't much difference between a parachute and glider, I'm afraid the regulators don't see it that way.

You might want to look at this discussion, where people have been talking about the same thing. Many other teams have done this and they may be able to advise you on getting through the regulatory hurdles.
This reply was deleted.

Activity